Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Acontreras45
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku disables player with attempt to coerce arbitration agreement

My question is, what is ROKU planning to do that they don't want sued for? Is there something they have already done that has not come light just yet and the know will eventually come out? 

I took out my RUKO stick, smashed with it a hammer and mailing it to the opt out address. I suggest everyone else do the same. Send a message

Acontreras45
Channel Surfer

It's time to stand up to it.  It's bad enough so many **bleep** cowards crumbled to be bullied and giving up their rights to Government and took the jab, wore a useless mask. Will give up their freedom of speech, freedom to peacefully assemble, give up their firearms.  When did I start living in the land of cowards and apathy? 

Acontreras45
Channel Surfer

Unless you send in your Opt out in writing. Who knows how long that takes before giving your access back. The terms conveniently left out that information. No customer service to call and ask about it. So **bleep** um. I smashed my streaming stick and mailing it to the opt out address and will no longer use any ROKU services moving forward. Sick of getting bullied and manipulated with ultimatums everywhere I look.  

techfan
Streaming Star

Boy, did I!

I own two TCL TVs with ROKU. So, its not just my ROKU device that is affected. Its also holding my TVs hostage.

Ironically, I have an Apple TV connected to one and a Google TV connected to the other. I was only using the TCL ROKU app to switch the input to these devices (its set to do this automatically when powered on).

I am now heavily motivated to fight this predatory (and in my opinion illegal) trade practice.

Since I am absolutely not agreeing to this, I tried a few different UI actions to circumvent it. Rapidly pushing the back (<-) button several times caused the TV to ask if I wanted to report an issue. I declined reporting the issue.

Further, I have (so far) contacted my state senators, my state's AG office, and (yeah I am this upset) the white house office of the president.

Over the coming days, when I find some spare time, I'll be contacting the executives and general counsels of both ROKU and TCL. I'll probably throw in the offices of the FTC, FCC, BBB, and whatever other relevant agencies I can come up with. Perhaps, I'll even alert some of the news agencies as well.

If this upsets you also, I highly suggest you do some of the same. Its easy to open complaints online with all of the aforementioned entities. The more they receive, the more likely they'll act to put a stop to this!

If nothing else, hopefully a strong response will create a public outcry.

Finally, this action by ROKU is producing the exact opposite consequences of its intent. I had previously never considered a class action suit. However, this predatory action is giving me second thoughts!

Forgetting that this is quasi-legal, for the moment, its also terribly public relations. Not a smart move from an already declining brand.

Roku can we get a refund for these term changes?

DaBlues
Streaming Star

Perhaps you could share some of that information, contacts etc so that others could do the same.

As consumers, we really need to start making companies more accountable. Clicking AGREE on long, hard to understand legal filled mumbo jumbo is unfair when WE bring the business to these companies.

gparky
Reel Rookie

Re: Update to Dispute Resolution. anyone seen this on their TV?

I tried that also, you cannot get out of the moving background either. One cannot use the TV for anything.

techfan
Streaming Star

These are the places I've contacted so far...

State Senators (see https://www.senate.gov/senators/senators-contact.htm)
FTC Complaints (see https://www.ftc.gov/ under Take Action)
White House (see https://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/)
ROKU General Counsel: generalcounsel@roku.com

State AG (depends on your state). Google your state's name plus "A General", using the full "A" word (synonym for counsel). Apparently, I can't post if I use the full "A" word.

I'd like to start a social media campaign too, but I'm not a fan, so I'll leave that to others 🙂

FCC Complaints (see https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us)

Though the FCC likely only applies to TVs with built-in Rokus, not the separately connected streaming devices.

jlanz
Reel Rookie

Re:Roku disables player with attempt to coerce arbitration agreement

I am very disappointed in Roku. My partner uses Roku to get to sleep. Last night it bricked her Roku and forced her to accept the terms. What made it even worse was that the acceptance process would not even work. It took both of us a long time before we got rid of it and she could get to sleep. This is overly aggressive and is more like a software bug rather than any intentional process. Roku needs to think about what and how they do things.

natasche1
Reel Rookie

Just a thought.  Has anyone thought of suuu  ng in small claims court for the cost of the Rokus and TVs BEFORE agreeing to their demand?  In my non-legal opinion, they have basically rendered your Roku useless unless you give up your rights.  Is that even legal??  Imagine if you bought a car and then months later the manufacturer came along and disabled it until you promise to never take them to court for bad product behavior.