Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Error 003 - Can't update software

Jump to solution

@Frances5740 With a Roku TV, it is possible to download an OS file to a USB stick and update your TV via that method. See this Roku support page for more detailed instructions.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Padawan22
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I'm having the same issue exactly. An unopened but old roku ultra, first time setup. connects to the internet fine (both wifi and wired), but error 003. Anyone know how to fix?

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @Padawan22 

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the Roku Community.

We understand that you've experienced the same issue with your Roku Ultra wherein an Error 003 code has appeared on your Roku device while trying to update it. For this issue, we recommend following the troubleshooting steps provided by @RokuJharra-Q's post above this thread.

If the issue persists, we'd like to gather more information for us to investigate this issue further. Kindly provide the details below:

• Internet Service Provider (ISP): Who do you get your internet service from (e.g., Xfinity, Spectrum)?
  • Router/Modem Brand & Model: What brand and specific model of router and modem do you have?
  • Roku Device Details:
    • Model (e.g., Roku Streaming Stick+ 4K)
    • Serial Number
    • Device ID
    • Software OS/Version (You can find this information under Settings > System > About)
    • If you have a brand new Roku device, and haven't activated it yet, you can see the serial number and model at the back of the device or on the box that it came with.
  • Tracker ID: When the connection drops, press the Home button 5 times followed by the Back button 5 times quickly. This will generate a Tracker ID. Please provide this number if possible.

The information you provide will be forwarded to the appropriate Roku team for further review and investigation.

Your response would be much appreciated.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JB34
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It's obviously a problem with the firmware server not allowing to update old firmware. Roku support only offers a boilerplate reply asking for additional info but I don't see any solution posted anywhere. In our case we can't even use the stick because we can't activate it. 

0 Kudos
dvoyage
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Yes, seems that way, I isolated every other variable and looks to me to be a server side issue. My solution was just buy another Roku. House always wins!

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Yes, there appeared to be a server side issue yesterday. It seems to have cleared today. But I wouldn't discount some major Internet DNS failure either. I have another site that I moderate on, and I haven't been able to reach it for a couple of days. The site owner says he's trying to get it resolved, but his provider is difficult to reach. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
cfk
Channel Surfer

003 can't update and only have blank screen

Jump to solution

Two of my four Roku TVs froze yesterday. After checking my internet connection, unplugging and re-plugging the TV, deleting the phone app, and reinstalling the app, I am stuck in a loop that says error 003. After the 003 error message, the only option I have is to exit. After exiting, the screen will only present the Rokku name and nothing else (on prompt, no icons, no nothing).

I have rebooted the TVs and my internet connection five times. Two of my four TVs are working fine, and I can no longer see the two TVs that are not working on my network (on my phone app,). 

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: 003 can't update and only have blank screen

Jump to solution

Hi @cfk,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you when encountering the 003 error and appreciate the steps you took to resolve the issue.

Please note that we are currently aware of this, and our engineering team has been investigating this issue closely.

In the meantime, please help us with the required details posted by @RokuTakashi, which are mentioned above in this thread.

Also, may we know if you are setting up your Roku device for the first time?

Once we have this information, we can send additional information for the investigation to our engineering team.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
cfk
Channel Surfer

Re: 003 can't update and only have blank screen

Jump to solution

Hi, 

I sent an update to @RokuTakashi directly. There are some minor steps forward when I press and hold the reset button on the side of the TV for 10 seconds. I can reconnect the TV to the internet, but it still craps out when trying to update the software.

CFK

0 Kudos

ROKU devices unable to update

Jump to solution

I have 2 older Roku devices. An Insignia Roku Tv purchased in Feb 2018 and a Roku streaming stick that was given to me (purchase date unknown.) I have tried to connect them to the internet and update the software in my new home but I get "SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED - The software update server could not be reached. There may be a problem with your network... yada yada Error code 003. There is nothing wrong with my network. When I run setup on the Roku devices, the wireless network, local network, and internet connection checks all return green checkmarks. I tried to do the manual update for the TV via USB and Roku Support website claims that it cannot recognize my TV so it won't let me do that. I am beyond frustrated. Can anyone suggest a remedy other that pitching the devices into the trash?

0 Kudos