Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jonr100

Roku Streaming stick having an issue with error code when updating

Factory resetted the Roku stick and on connecting to 2.4ghz wifi, it connects successfully but then it tries to auto update and it errors out. Actionid 0 err 0: -4

I have tried everything suggested, 2.4ghz wifi, mobile hotspot, secret menu update server cycle to get off beta to release.

Nothing works, and I'm left with an expensive piece of plastic. Please help.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Streaming stick having an issue with error code when updating

Hello! @jonr100,

Thank you for your post in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you contacting us about the issue with your Roku device, which is encountering an error code during the update process. We are pleased to assist you.

• Is this the first time you have experienced this issue? When did it start?
  • Did we recently make any changes to your network or network provider?

If your Roku device is stuck during a software update, wait a few minutes and try again. Check the Roku support site for updates if there is a known outage.

If there is no alert and you continue to see the error message after multiple attempts, the update failure is likely due to a network connectivity issue. Try the steps below to help resolve the problem.

1. Power cycle/ Unplug the Roku device for 30 seconds
  2. Restart the router
  3. Perform a Network Connection Reset on your Roku device by navigating to Settings > Advanced system settings > Network connection reset > Reset connection.
    • Note: Before doing make sure you know your WiFi credentials. 
  4. After the network reset, your Roku device will restart, and you will need to return to the Settings menu to set up your wireless network again.

If the issue persists, you can connect your streaming device to a mobile hotspot as a temporary workaround to ensure that the issue is not with your device. 

If you can connect your Roku device to your mobile hotspot without issues, we recommend contacting your internet provider and telling them you can.

For additional troubleshooting steps, please see this article: How to fix internet errors and issues on your Roku streaming device.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jonr100

Re:Roku Streaming stick having an issue with error code when updating

I've stated I've already done these things. The issue started last night, and I've attempted multiple times yesterday and today. Trying different networks does not solve it. Also, no changes to our network.

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Streaming stick having an issue with error code when updating

@jonr100,

Thank you for your response,

When you try to connect your Roku device to your mobile hotspot, are you getting the same error message? Please provide us a picture of your TV screen with that error message.

We would be happy to investigate further, but we need further details. Can you please provide us with the following information:
  • Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button five times, followed by the Back button five times, and provide us with this ID)
  • Wireless router make/model:
  • Your internet provider(ISP)

Once we have this information, we can pass it along to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation.
We look forward to working with you to help resolve this issue.

Regards,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos