Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Humble
Reel Rookie

Roku skipping through show and returning to home screen

While I was trying to watch tv my Roku started skipping through the show or going to the Home Screen and going to other channels or trying to buy things. I have restarted it and factory reset it but nothing helps. It might stop for a few hours but it always starts doing it again.

25 REPLIES 25
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: My Roku is going crazy and nothing I do will fix it.

Can you try taking the batteries out of the remote and using the app on a phone/tablet as a remote to see if your remote is the problem?

Roku Mobile App - Free for iOS® or Android™ | Roku

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Humble
Reel Rookie

I have tried but that doesn’t work 

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@Humble wrote:

I have tried but that doesn’t work 

@renojimmade two suggestions.  WHAT doesn't work?  Nobody is there looking over your shoulder, so you have to tell the people trying to help you what is going on (or not).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
ca5304

I bought two new Roku remotes and neither solved the skipping and jumping problem. It's making Roku useless. Can NO ONE help consumers with this? 

0 Kudos
Crowella

This just started happening to me today. It skips 3 times over things, and randomly selects things I didn’t press. It’s almost like someone else is controlling it, weird! I still haven’t figured out how to get mine working. This happened after I recently switched to new batteries since my Roku remote was low on battery power yesterday. It’s full green on the battery bar, but acting overly sensitive. Interestingly enough, it doesn’t do it on the Roku Home Screen, only within the streaming apps when I’m searching, typing or scrolling. 

if its not the remote, then its the roku player. have you tried replacing your player with a new one?

0 Kudos
ElsieAggie
Reel Rookie

I bought a new one, new batteries, it’s doing the same thing. I don’t have other ir products. 

0 Kudos
ElsieAggie
Reel Rookie

I bought a new one, same issue

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Community Users!

Thanks for raising your remote issues with us! No worries, we're here to find you the best resolution for this.

Have you tried to perform a system reboot on your Roku streaming devices/TVs? If not, we highly suggest so as many users have testified that this process worked for them. You can do it by navigating to your Home screen. Scroll and select Settings > System > Power (if this option is unavailable, proceed to the next step) > System restart

Let us know if this works for you and we'll go from there.

Thanks,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.