Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shae5714
Channel Surfer

Onn Roku tv. Software won’t update.

Jump to solution

Our tv is currently not allowing is to use certain streaming platforms (prime & disney+) as it says we have an update to download. Great. Except the update will not go past 2% without throwing error 008. Now, before you go saying to download the update on a usb, done that and it did not work as well 😂

we have reset the tv, restarted our router, power cycled the tv, checked the file on the usb, cleared the cache, and every other suggestion we could find. The usb update takes us to the screen where it asks for the 6 digit pin. There it climbs to 2% and then quits like the other one. Our wifi is amazing on our other roku tv’s so I don’t think that’s the problem. We have only had it for 8 months now and bought brand new. Somebody help lol

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Onn Roku tv. Software won’t update.

Jump to solution

Thanks for raising your concern here in the Roku Community, @Harpc!

To answer your query above, performing a factory reset on one of your Roku streaming players or TV will not affect the other devices you have even if they are on the same Roku account. 

Please be also aware that resetting your Roku device will set you back to default settings, and you may need to re-link your Roku account and sign in on your channel subscriptions. Also, before doing this step, ensure you know your network connection's name and password.

We suggest trying this step and updating the software version of it right after. Let us know how it goes and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
27 REPLIES 27
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Shae5714,

Greetings from the Roku Community

We're sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks for letting us know about this.

Try using an alternative network like a mobile hotspot or ethernet to see if you're able to pass it.

Keep us posted!

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Corashcar
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Any fix im also having this exact issue 

0 Kudos
Shae5714
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Nope not fixed yet. A guy from Roku said he was going to send us a warranty form or something but hasn’t yet. 

0 Kudos
Shae5714
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Tried that, did not work! It’s been a week or so now and still cannot use it because it won’t update. 

0 Kudos
Harpc
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have tried every suggestion to fix this issue and still get the same 008 error. Cannot watch Disney until the update happens. Please offer a solution. 

0 Kudos
Shae5714
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Yep ours was the same. All I know is don’t reset your tv or you won’t be able to use it at all 😂 won’t let you connect to wifi without updating, yet the update won’t work 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Shae5714 

Have you tried updating using a mobile hotspot (if available to you)?

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Shae5714
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Absolutely! 3 of them in fact. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Shae5714 

I think I would consider Factory Resetting the RokuTV, creating a new Roku account (use different email address than your other Roku account), and use the mobile hotspot to go through the setup and activation of the new account.

----

Of course, doing the above may affect any subscriptions. (especially those purchased "through" Roku).  If purchased from provider directly, you would just need to sign into them via the new Roku account.  

If you need to get back to your old Roku account, you would just factory reset again and then use your "old email/roku account" during the setup and activation and your previous account is restored on the RokuTV. (just do not delete or close account from your online dashboard at roku.com and you can easily bounce back and forth to troubleshoot if issue still persists through the factory reset procedure).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.