Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dukiejosh54
Roku Guru

TCL ROKU TV not streaming content in 4K

I have a TCL 4K Series 6 ROKU TV. I just noticed today that it is not streaming any 4K content in 4k. Movies anywhere says "device does not support 4k playback" and When I play 4K movies on Apple TV Dolby Vision kicks in but in the movies info it says it's only playing in HD. I hooked up my Nvidia Shield through an HDMI and it plays 4K content fine so It must be some kind of error with the Roku that's built into the TV.

Labels (2)
3 REPLIES 3
coneecheewa
Reel Rookie

Re: TCL ROKU TV not streaming content in 4K

Mine is doing the same thing. I noticed it last week. I hope they fix it soon. Was thinking maybe my TV was broken, but now I have a little hope. 

dukiejosh54
Roku Guru

I contacted moviesanywhere and they emailed me back this response. I'm not for sure but I'm guessing maybe Apple TV Plus is having the same issue. I haven't had much luck getting a hold of their customer service. The issue appears to be Roku's fault. 

"Hello Josh, 

Thank you for providing the device information.

We have checked this with our team, and we can confirm that after a recent update, some Roku devices no longer support UHD (4K) playback due to a lack of up-to-date Digital Rights Management or DRM specs.  We can confirm that your device is included in the list."

As our movies are DRM protected, you will get the error "This device does not support 4K playback" on the 4K movies. Since the data on our service is proprietary and copyrighted, your device needs to be secure enough to play it. The DRM specs on a device are added via updates through the device manufacturer, and when and up to what version of that a device gets updated is up to them.

You can continue to use the Movies Anywhere app; however, you won't be able to play your 4K movies in such resolution, but you should be able to play them in HD. We also encourage you to use your Digital Retailer library, as you may be able to play the movies in UHD using the retailer library.

Please let us know if you have any other questions." 
0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Community users!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

We acknowledge your concern regarding your TCL Roku TV. We'd be glad to look into this.

May we know the following details:

• When did you start having this issue?
  • What particular channel/show/episode is not streaming in 4k?
  • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

With more details, we'll be able to provide you with an accurate resolution. Kindly keep us posted.

Regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.