Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BeachGuy1
Streaming Star

YouTube app constant buffering

I have TCL Roku TV and 4K streaming stick (separate TVs and devices) and YouTube app constantly buffers on both.  I have 500mbps internet and everything else works fine (all other apps).  I have searched the forums and internet and there doesn't seem to be a solution (restart Roku, thanks).  I have seen comments that it's a YouTube app issue and they have to push an update.  But these issues have been on the forums and internet for years (literally).

Is there any resolution?

32S357
H103X
12.5.0, build 4172-DD

92 REPLIES 92
BeachGuy1
Streaming Star

Constant Buffering With 4K Content

No response from Roku after all this time other than "I'll forward to team"?

I get constant buffering on YouTube app on both TCL Roku TV and 4K streaming Roku stick (separate devices on different TVs).  HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO FIND A SOLUTION ANYWHERE ON THE INTERNET.

32S357
H103X
12.5.0, build 4172-DD

RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: YouTube app constant buffering

Hi @BeachGuy1,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We're glad to assist you with your problem with the YouTube app on your Roku devices. Have you tried removing the channel and adding it back? Are you getting any error messages or error codes while trying to play a content? Please check out this support article here on how to resolve a channel playback issue for more troubleshooting steps.

Let us know how it goes, and we'll be glad to assist you further.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
BeachGuy1
Streaming Star

Yes I followed those instructions for removing/reinstalling but same buffering issues.  I'm suprised Roku/Google has not resolved this by now.  It is a well known/documented issue on the forums and internet.  Some say Google just won't support because they are a competitor of Roku (they have their own versions of TCL/Google TV/Chromecast), others say the processers (CPUs) aren't poweful enough (not sure about that one).

Do you have any other suggestions other than reinstalling the app which has been suggested for years ad nauseam?

How about someone contact the developer and get to the root of the issue?

RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

@BeachGuy1 

We appreciate your response,

We're sorry to hear that you are having issues with the YouTube app channel. As we’ve gone through troubleshooting steps, and confirmed that your Roku device is up to date, and all other channels are working normally, we’ll need to get you in touch with the channel publisher directly for further assistance here. Please contact directly to follow up, and let them know what troubleshooting steps you’re already attempted with us. 

Regards,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
BeachGuy1
Streaming Star

You say "we’ll need to get you in touch with the channel publisher directly for further assistance here".  But then you say "Please contact directly to follow up, and let them know what troubleshooting steps you’re already attempted with us.".

Ok yeah leave it to the customer to debug and fix.  If you have contact info for Google/YouTube Roku app I will contact them.  A search on the internet is a rabbit hole.  This is your job not the customer's.  Again there are many issues open on your forums and the internet on YouTube app buffering on Roku.

Thanks for your help Roku (not). 

RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for letting us know, @BeachGuy1!

We sincerely apologize for the misunderstanding. No worries. We will request reinforcement from the appropriate Roku team to further review your device and to help fix this.

Kindly provide us with the following details below: 

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and OS version. (this can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • What version/build is the app/channel? (this can be found by highlighting the channel/app on the Home screen and pressing the Star* button)
  • Tracker ID (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)

Once we have this information, we will investigate your specific device and figure out how to fix this as soon as possible, as your convenience and satisfaction are what we aim for.

We'll be looking forward to your response!

Kind regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
BeachGuy1
Streaming Star

TCL/Roku TV

Roku device model: TCL model 32S357, harware ID H104X

serial number: X020006P5TTC

device ID: S0LEJ32P5TTC

OS version: 12.5.0-build 4172-DD

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roku Streaming stick 4K

Roku device model: 3820R2 - Roku Streaming stick 4K

serial number: X02522XT5T16

device ID: S0J732CT5T16

OS version: 12.5.0-build 4175-E6

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

YouTube app

version/build: 2.22-build110005099

Tracker ID: Just goes to Home as soon as I press home button

Example of YouTube video that buffers continuously: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn_ZltXDqgs

0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thank you so much for the follow-up, @BeachGuy1.

No worries, we have already collected all this data and forwarded it to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation. If you haven't reached out to the provider yet, we'll also recommend you do so, as this issue may also be known on their end.

While our team looks into this concern, your patience and understanding are very much appreciated.

Regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
BeachGuy1
Streaming Star

Do you have contact info for the YouTube app on Roku developers?

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.