Issue Tracking Board

Status updates, outage reports, fixes, and workarounds. Subscribe to a thread be notified of updates!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuMaryEF
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

[Contact ESPN] ESPN getting "Connection Error" error message

Jump to solution

Hey Roku Community,

We've received reports about the ESPN channel showing a "Connection Error" message. 

Screenshot 2024-09-06 052839.png

If you're encountering this problem, please reach out to ESPN Support directly for more details on this error and the channel's functionality, as many channels are developed and maintained by their respective providers.

You can contact ESPN Support here: Streaming on ESPN – ESPN Fan Support.

Thank you for your understanding and patience!

Best,
The Roku Community Team

Mary E.
Roku Community Moderator
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuEmmanuel-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: ESPN App Issues - ESPN 3 connection error on replays (Internet Provider Authentication)

Jump to solution

Hi Community Users!

Thank you for your cooperation and for reporting this issue.

For further assistance with this problem, we encourage you to reach out to ESPN customer support directly. Since many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by their providers, contacting them can offer more detailed help.

If you need additional support or have any other questions, please let us know. We’re here to assist you with your specific needs.

Regards,
The Roku Community Team

Emmanuel-D.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
71 REPLIES 71
mwebbertn

ESPN Playback - Connection Errors

Jump to solution

I'm having same error. Went through these steps and did not fix the issue. The thing about this that is strange to me is that it only occurs on some of the ESPN content. I have been able to access all content since this Roku was installed last year and up until a week ago that was still the case. I'm still able to access most of the ESPN content just fine as it is just hit or miss on which selections are going to return this error. Certainly not an internet connection issue. But very frustrating. I can log onto my PC or go to my Fire Stick and access the same content just fine.

JM54
Reel Rookie

Re: ESPN Playback - Connection Errors

Jump to solution

I was having the EXACT same issue! Called ESPN, no help, called Roku, no help! So I decided to “re-boot” my internet/wifi equipment! Restarted my Internet modem and it worked! I am no longer getting that connection error in ESPN app! So try re-starting/ re-booting your Internet devices! It worked for me! Hope this helps! 

0 Kudos
JM54
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I was having the EXACT same issue! Called ESPN, no help, called Roku, no help! So I decided to “re-boot” my internet/wifi equipment! Restarted my Internet modem and it worked! I am no longer getting that connection error in ESPN app! So try re-starting/ re-booting your Internet devices! It worked for me! Hope this helps! 

0 Kudos
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @JM54!

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you informing us about your streaming issues on this channel. We're here to help you out and get to the bottom of this. In some cases, removing the channel and then re-installing it may help. To ensure the process is successful, follow the steps below, making sure you restart your Roku device before adding the channel again.

1. Remove the channel. Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press * to open the Options menu. Select the Remove channel and confirm.
  2. Restart your Roku device. Go to Settings > System > Power (skip, if unavailable) > System Restart.
  3. Re-install the channel: After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.

If you're still unable to play titles from a single channel after trying the suggestions above, contact the channel provider's customer support for assistance.

See more tips and troubleshooting steps for this type of issue here: How to resolve a channel playback issue. This should fix the problem you're having, but if it doesn't, please let us know so we can further assist you.

Thanks,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Asellus
Binge Watcher

ESPN App Issues - ESPN 3 connection error on replays (Internet Provider Authentication)

Jump to solution

Hi.

I contacted ESPN, and they said that I should contact you about this error with your app. I have ESPN 3 through my internet provider, so it authenticates over my internet connection. I don't log in with a tv provider. This is through my Roku streaming box (Roku Express 4K+ 3941X). Conversation with them below. I restarted my internet and Roku, and no changes. Live events work, but not replays. Replays on ESPN 3 were working fine on Sunday and Monday, but are no longer working. When I click on them, they pop up a connection error message. Please help.

image.png

RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: ESPN App Issues - ESPN 3 connection error on replays (Internet Provider Authentication)

Jump to solution

Hi, @Asellus 

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community.

We understand the issue you have encountered with the ESPN, and we appreciate your efforts in reaching out to their support regarding this matter. We'd like to collect further details that our team needs for this issue to be investigated further. Kindly provide the details below:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version. (These can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • What channel and what version/build is the channel that is having the issue? (This can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button).
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs. (When you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).
  • A photo or video clip referring to the issue,

Once these details are made available, our team will review the issue and will work on it.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Asellus
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

image.pngIMG_1142.jpgIMG_1145.jpgIMG_1146.jpg

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue with the exact same pattern. ESPN3 replays are giving me the same error, but live events are working fine. However, I use YoutubeTV as my TV provider in the ESPN app.

IMG_7022.jpegIMG_7023.jpegIMG_7024.jpeg

IMG_7026 Large.jpeg

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @elainesworld100 @Asellus 

Thanks for providing the details requested in this thread.

We have forwarded your concern to the appropriate Roku team, who'll further review and investigate the issue. Once more details have been developed, we'll provide an update in this thread.

We hope for your patience and understanding as we work on this.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.