Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Re: Remote Control notification with battery keeps popping up

This malfunctioning battery pop up is beyond annoying. It doesn't work properly, it pops up a lot even when the battery is close to full or still half full. The point of a battery notification is to let you know when the batteries are almost dead but it pops up randomly whenever it wants. If you have a Voice Remote Pro sometimes the Hand Free Voice Off pops up randomly too even though you didn't just flip the switch to turn it off, another malfunction.

Even if this notification worked properly it is not necessary, we will know when our batteries are getting low when we start pressing buttons and nothing happens. This notification built into the remote software needs to have an option added to completely turn it off. I have suggested this for years but Roku still ignores the problem.

I never want to see a battery notification, all devices should always have an option to disable all notifications because not everyone wants to see them. I don't know why Roku can't or won't give us a way to turn this malfunctioning notification off, or even better just remove it from the remote software once and for all and it will solve all these problems.

Continually asking for serial numbers and tracker IDs and telling us to reboot our devices does not solve the problem. So how about you come up with a real fix Roku, you've had more than enough time to address this annoyance.

ajH20
Channel Surfer

The problem with my roku remote is worse than ever.  Does anyone on this platform know what I can do to fix it?  Factory reset does not work. 

RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Emissary35 @ajH20,

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community!
We apologize for any inconvenience that it has caused you, and this is not what we aim for. We will be more than happy to assist you further with this issue that you're having with the Roku remote since the battery notification keeps popping up. Can you please provide the following information that has been asked below?

• What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far?
  • When did the issue start?
  • How many hours did you charge the Roku Voice Remote Pro?

With detailed information, we will be able to assist you further with this issue.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ajH20
Channel Surfer

John, 

Below is the product information I have available.  Since I'm unable to find a tracker ID, would you please provide one in your response?

Troubleshooting: I've factory reset the roku and it was very difficult with a faulty remote.  I've tried to reset the remote holding the pair button for 20 seconds or until it blinked rapidly.  I've tried pressing the home button 5x, then back button 5x; that did not work.  I've tried pressing the home button 5x, the forward button 5x; that did not work.  I've tried pressing the home button 5x, the down botton 5x; that did not work.

Recurrence: I first logged this issue 2 months after my purchase.  After some troubleshooting the problem went away for about 2/3 weeks, but it resurfaced worse than ever.  The remote control battery notification now appears on the screen every 5 seconds and when it does the remote is unusable.  However, the mobile app remote works just fine, I just have to change the volume manually.  

Battery Level: Completely full, but the error seems to drain the battery pretty heavily.  The first two months I had the new Roku Ultra I think I charged the remote once and it was good to go.  Now I have to charge it all the time and it's riddled with functionality issues.

Model: 4802RW - Roku Ultra

SN: X0100015MN8N

Software: 12.5.0  build 4178-C2

Device ID: S0DC2365MN8N

I have no record of a tracker ID, I don't think I've ever been issued one.  

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@ajH20, the Back button is the button to the left of the Home button.  It sounds like you may be trying every button except that one.  After the 5x Home and 5x Back is when you should see the Tracker ID on your screen.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
gegert
Reel Rookie

Re: Remote Control notification with battery keeps popping up (REPORT DATE 4.02.2024)

issue report tracker

model: 4800x - roku ultra

serial number: x0100065h11x (s02a2175h11x)

software version: 12.5.5 build 4174-c2

gc version: 11.1.25

timestamp: 2024-04-02t10:52:23z

please use ID 1X-133-132 TO REPORT THE CURRENT ISSUE

OK

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Remote Control notification with battery keeps popping up (REPORT DATE 4.02.2024)

Warmest welcome here in the Roku Community, @gegert!

Thanks for reporting the battery notification you've observed on your Roku Ultra. We'd be happy to be of assistance here.

Rest assured that we have already forwarded this to the appropriate Roku team to include your device in the process of investigation and correction. Once we've been notified of updates from the team, we will make sure to let you know. 

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Sorry but that response is a joke, it's the same nonsensical response I've gotten time and time again over the years when I complained about annoying battery pop ups. This is not a device specific problem. It's a malfunction in the remote software causing battery warning pop ups all the time, even when the batteries are fully charged or mostly charged.

So collecting our serial numbers won't do anything, there isn't anything wrong with one specific Roku or remote, it's system wide because this issue has been going on for years. The solution is simple, remove these pop ups from the software completely because we do not need them! Or at the very least give us an option to fully disable battery notifications in the remote settings!

This is only like the 50th time I've suggested this going back to at least 2019! But keep ignoring this solution Roku, because it would actually work if you cared to fix it! I got the annoying pop up yesterday 30 minutes into a film when I hadn't touched my remote since I pressed play, telling me my battery is 100%.

What is the point of that?? Fix this!

0 Kudos
Krammatt
Binge Watcher

I feel your pain. I have 3 Express 4K+ devices they all began doing the same thing after a few months of non use in a second home. Nothing has helped so far. Has to be software/firmware issue but Roku seems tone deaf. 

RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hello @Krammatt,

Thank you for keeping us in the loop. We understand that you're having issues with your Roku remote. We appreciate the precise details you have provided as well as the troubleshooting steps you have taken in an attempt to fix the issue.

Rest assured, we'll flag this concern to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation. To help the team better assess this issue, would you mind providing us with the following details?

• Roku device or TV model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button five times, followed by the Back button five times, and provide us with this ID).

Once a few more pieces of information have been gathered, we will be able to pass them along to the appropriate support team to investigate further. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Sincerely,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.