Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hetoo

Disconnect Enhanced Voice Remote - Help

Our neighbor's "enhanced voice remote" connected to our TV and we can't figure out how to disconnect it. It appears his TV is broken (won't turn on) and when he tried resetting his remote to get it to turn on, it connected to our TV. I think the solution is to repair his remote with his TV, but we can't do that until his TV is fixed and now whenever he tries to turn it on our TV turns off.

Hoping he figures out the TV issue soon but in the meantime is there any way to remove the remote from our TV?? Other online forums say there should be a 'forget' option in the Remotes and devices settings but there is not. "Disable device connect" would prevent it from reconnecting I think, but I can't select that option with the remote connected. We only have a regular IR remote

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Disconnect Enhanced Voice Remote - Help

Welcome, and thank you for posting here in the Roku Community, @hetoo!

Thank you for letting us know about this. No worries! We're here to help you fix this so they can't control your Roku device. 

This is just a friendly reminder that IR-operated Roku remotes do not require pairing with a Roku device; they automatically pair. If they are using a Roku TV, they are most probably using the remote that came with it, which is also an IR-operated Roku remote. 

Your standard IR remote uses invisible infrared (IR) light to send the signal a short distance from the remote (where the IR transmitter is located) to the front of your Roku device (where the IR receiver is located).

A Roku Voice (enhanced) remote needs to be paired with a Roku device by pressing the pairing button. You can check the existing paired remotes on your Roku device under Settings > Remotes & devices > Remotes and remove the unwanted remotes currently paired.

In the meantime, you may visit our support article to help you learn more about how a standard IR remote works

I hope you find this information helpful. 

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.