Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RiverCityYVR
Reel Rookie

Remote stopped working entirely

Jump to solution

It’s been problematic for about four months but only yesterday stopped working entirely. I can use the app to control the TV for now, but that means the TV is useless if I’m not around and anyone else wants to watch.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Remote stopped working entirely

Jump to solution

We appreciate you for posting here in the Roku Community, @RiverCityYVR!

Thank you for bringing to our attention the issues you have encountered with your Roku remote. We'd be happy to help you contact the correct support.

Can you please confirm if this is happening to your TCL Roku TV? If so, we highly recommend getting in touch with TCL Support since they produce their own hardware, including their remote. We only support its software operating system, so it's best to raise this concern with them for further assistance or request a replacement. 

You may reach them here: TCL TV Support

We hope you get everything sorted out soon and appreciate you bearing with us in the meantime. 

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

We appreciate you for posting here in the Roku Community, @RiverCityYVR!

Thank you for bringing to our attention the issues you have encountered with your Roku remote. We'd be happy to help you contact the correct support.

Can you please confirm if this is happening to your TCL Roku TV? If so, we highly recommend getting in touch with TCL Support since they produce their own hardware, including their remote. We only support its software operating system, so it's best to raise this concern with them for further assistance or request a replacement. 

You may reach them here: TCL TV Support

We hope you get everything sorted out soon and appreciate you bearing with us in the meantime. 

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RiverCityYVR
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It is TCL TV. Thank you for the link, I will reach out to them.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for keeping us posted, @RiverCityYVR.

Feel free to contact us anytime you need assistance with your Roku, or you can visit our support website for additional help. --> Roku Support Website

Happy Streaming!

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Roku now has their own replacement remote for Roku TVs from all manufacturers.
Infrared, not compatible with Roku Players
https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/roku-tv-remote

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Jayemmbee
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My remote also has suddenly stopped working, however I did not experience any problems beforehand. I've changed the batteries and the roku home screen still appears when the TV is on, it's just not registering I'm pressing any button on the remote. I bought the 4k streaming stick barely a year ago, and at 6 months, the remote already had to be replaced. Now, another 6 months later, the replacement remote is looking like it too needs to be replaced. Is the lifespan of the remote only 6 months? I'm starting to regret switching from my roku TV to a streaming stick as my TV never had an issue with anything in the 5+years I owned it, but this is the 2nd faulty remote in 12 months. 

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community, @Jayemmbee!

We appreciate you for letting us know about the issues you've encountered with your Roku remote. We'd be happy to suggest some steps and workarounds so you can utilize your Roku Streaming Stick using your physical remote again.

Before proceeding, can you please check and confirm whether there are any blinking lights when you try to press random buttons on your physical remote? If so, let's try rebooting it and pairing it again to see if this helps.

Reboot your Voice Remote

If your voice remote uses standard AA or AAA alkaline batteries, you can reboot it by removing and reinstalling the batteries.

1. Remove the battery cover on the back of your remote
  2. Remove both batteries from the battery compartment
  3. Re-insert the negative (-) end of a battery first and then gently push the positive (+) end until the battery clicks into place
  4. Repeat the previous step to install the second battery
  5. Put the battery cover back on your remote

Reboot your streaming device

1. Remove the power cable from your streaming device
  2. Wait at least 5 seconds
  3. Re-connect the power cable
  4. Wait for your streaming device to power on, and the Home screen to appear on your TV
  5. Once you see the Home screen, try to pair your remote to control your device

If the issue persists, try to replace your remote with a fresh new set of batteries. 

Furthermore, since you are having this issue on a Roku Streaming Stick, review the tips below for improving the connection with your Roku voice remote.

• Use the advanced wireless receiver or long-range Wi-Fi receiver included with your Streaming Stick. The wireless receiver is part of the USB power cable that must be attached to your Roku Streaming Stick. It reduces wireless interference and allows your Roku Streaming Stick to connect to your wireless network.
  • Install an HDMI® extension cable. When using a Streaming Stick that is connected directly to an HDMI port on your TV, wireless interference from the HDMI connector may impact the performance of your remote. You can move your Streaming Stick by installing a free HDMI extender.

For reference, here's the support article dedicated to this: How to fix your Roku voice remote that is not working

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Jayemmbee
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi there, 

None of these suggestions helped, and I tried them before seeking help. The infrared sensor is simply not triggering when a button is pushed despite new batteries and multiple reboots. Pressing the power button while watching for the infrared light through my camera on my phone confirmed it is simply not working anymore. 

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @Jayemmbee.

Thanks for the added information and for trying the troubleshooting steps as well as the alternatives. 

In this case, I can assure you that I will coordinate this with our Support team for additional reinforcement. I will then contact you via Private Message to gather further information, such as the email address associated with your Roku account.

In the meantime, you may use the Roku mobile app as an alternative to your physical remote. This app is a free application for iOS® and Android devices that turns your mobile device into a control center for your Roku streaming player or Roku TV system. The Remote feature of the mobile app allows you to use your phone or tablet as a Roku remote.

For reference, here's the support article dedicated to this: How to use the Roku mobile app to control your Roku streaming device without a remote

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.