Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How to UNPAIR a voice remote to disable Device Connect?

Jump to solution

@Jen41 

You're not OP, we are trying to help two posters at the same time, alright what is the model number of your Roku IR remote? If it has Roku Tv written on it, it will never control your Ultra. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Jen41
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

By the way, the IR remote is a Sofabaton R2 Universal remote with programming extension for Roku. Available on Amazon for less than $20. 

0 Kudos
Jen41
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

It just goes to the circle showing it’s working and then to the language/ English screen. From there it goes to the “pair remote” and freezes until I pair the RF remote. I don’t remember it saying anything and I’m not going through the factory reset and setup again. I’ve done it about 7 times already. Enough. 

0 Kudos
Jen41
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

The Sofabaton R2 IR remote works perfectly with the Roku Ultra all the time EXCEPT when the “pair remote” screen is up. Then it does nothing. 

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

Yes, it seems in your case and @Sunfox case the aftermarket remote can't get over the hurdle of dismissing the pairing screen. I suggest you get a true Roku IR remote. In the link to ebay below any remote with cross cursor pad and no power key is true IR Roku remote. Stay away from any with round cursor pad that's an aftermarket brand. 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=roku+IR+remote&_sacat=0&L...

Edmund

Sunfox
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Okay, I can confirm that this is indeed a problem with the universal remote - but a very specific and obscure issue that traces back to the Roku Voice remote in IR mode.

The reason is, the Roku Voice Remote transmits different infrared codes than a standard Roku infrared remote. And, any universal remote maker that used a Voice remote in infrared mode as its donor, or if you tried to learn the codes off of one like I did, will end up with a very slightly different set of codes than if they had used a true Roku IR-only remote.

Which codes you use makes absolutely no difference to the Roku, except in one very tiny place: the remote pairing screen. And I suspect the entire reason for this slight difference in codes is to specifically PREVENT the Voice remote from being able to dismiss the pairing screen.

For example, someone pops the batteries in their Voice remote, up comes the pairing screen, they hit a button knowingly or unknowingly, the pairing screen disappears and the remote seems to work… except for some reason the Voice button doesn’t work. And neither do the headphones. So they call into customer support and complain.

I’m guessing this was either a problem, or someone foresaw it being a problem, so they crippled the remote’s ability to dismiss that screen, unless you were truly using a real Roku IR remote and definitely wanted IR mode.

Which kind of makes me wonder… why even have a backup IR mode on the Voice remote? Under normal circumstances it’s not even usable…

At any rate, I located learned code captures from a real Roku IR remote, downloaded them to an advanced remote, and then taught them to the cheapie remote I’m using with the Roku, and now I have no problem dismissing the pairing screen. And I was then able to disable Device Connect, and now WiFi is truly off.

In my mind this would make all third-party Roku IR remotes potentially suspect, as you really have no idea which code version they’re using, and unless the maker was specifically aware of this issue, they would have no reason to care.

UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Jump to solution
@Sunfox wrote:

Which kind of makes me wonder… why even have a backup IR mode on the Voice remote? Under normal circumstances it’s not even usable…

On every (non-Stick paired) WiFi Direct ("Voice") Roku remote, pulling the paired-device power results in the remote reverting to IR mode (fallback IR mode by design), thus allowing you to IR control any (IR-enabled) Roku device - aside from the paired device, which can be forced into IR-only mode by disabling Device Connect (convolutedly through the Factory Reset process as you've discovered).

(Stick-paired WiFi Direct ("Voice") remotes do not fall back into IR mode because Sticks do not have any IR to fall back to)

So, the purpose of the IR-mode is to be able to communicate with (non-Stick) devices, either that its paired to (but cant WiFi Direct communicate with for whatever reason), or not paired to (when the paired device cant be WiFi Direct communicated with for whatever reason).

So it definitely has utility value, whether in "normal" or "abnormal" circumstances:  Is the paired device being off normal/abnormal?  Is a WiFi Direct interference/connection problem normal/abnormal?  Is Device Connect disabled normal/abnormal? etc...

(Side note:  Why do Stick models even have the Device Connect UI option functionality at all, considering they can only be used with paired WiFi Direct remotes?  Surely not a(nother) device-specific OS/UI design flaw...)

As to the UNPAIRING problem as outlined in the OP and subsequent posts:   Roku have absurdly and poorly designed the UNPAIRING procedure such that effectively it must be done on BOTH the device AND the remote, and on the device end, the "Forget" option is ONLY available when MORE THAN ONE WIFI DIRECT REMOTE IS PAIRED TO THE DEVICE.

(This of course excludes using a Factory Reset to remove a device-side pairing)

Yes, you read that correctly:  The "Forget" UI option (for all paired remotes) is only available if more than one remote is paired to the device.  So, as long as you have 2 or more paired remotes, you can "Forget" any of them; however, as soon as you "Forget" them until only one paired remote remains, you cannot "Forget" the last paired remote. 

To further complicate the unpairing procedure, even if you "Forget" the remote on the device side, the remote itself is still paired to the device, unless/until you "Forget" the pairing on the remote itself, either by pairing it with another device or removing the pairing via Home+Back+Pairing.

Thats right -  in order to fully UNPAIR a remote from a device, you must: 1) "Forget" the remote on the device side, AND 2) "Forget" the device on the remote side - two entirely separate procedures.

So, yes, Roku has some significant/severe remote-related design flaws (amongst many others), including the unpairing process/procedure, though the availability of fallback IR mode isnt one of them (though it could be improved, perhaps with a manual/button(s) toggle "IR Only" mode on the remotes themselves).

Sunfox
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Going into the service menu you can actually attempt to forget the primary WiFi remote -- there's an option -- but it either doesn't work or is only temporary,.

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Sunfox wrote:

Going into the service menu you can actually attempt to forget the primary WiFi remote -- there's an option -- but it either doesn't work or is only temporary,.

Yes, there is an option in Platform SS/RF Remote Menu/Misc Settings to "Forget All Remotes", but it doesnt actually remove the registration/pairing info from either the device or the remote  (it just "forgets" their current session activeness, and as soon as you press a button, it activates it per session).

In effect, it doesnt address unpairing.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

@UserOfStreamers 

All remotes included with Roku sticks since they added tv controls do switch to IR when the stick power is disconnected. It's useless when it comes to sticks but it's there. Reason? Stick use the same wifi remote as other Roku models like the premiere+, express+ and so on. 

As for Device Connect on sticks, it's cheaper to have the same UI in all Roku devices. There is no danger of you disabling Device Connect and not having remote be able to communicate with the stick. Because you can't disable Device Connect with wifi remote still paired to the stick, even after factory reset when the stick doesn't have wifi paired, you still have to go through settings to turn off Device Connect, with no wifi remote paired that won't happen. 

Edmund

0 Kudos