Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jen41
Channel Surfer

Re: How to UNPAIR a voice remote to disable Device Connect?

Jump to solution

4662RW Roku Ultra LT

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Sunfox 

After factory reset the Roku is in sniffer mode attempting to communicate with wifi roku remote. Take the batteries out of the roku remote, but it out in your car if you will. Now do the factory remote, just use the IR remote to go through the menu options and setup the roku. Make sure disable device connect in the Advance System Settings. If you see it ask to pair a wifi remote just ignore it by pressing right coursor or home on the IR remote and continue with setup menu. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Jen41
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I know this is what everyone makes fun of, but wrapping it in aluminum foil actually works quite well to significantly decrease the RF field strength coming from it, and the RF remote still works through the aluminum ( the IR remote doesn’t). I have a high-end RF meter so I can measure, and it decreased 10-fold with the aluminum wrap. So despite its flaw, the Roku ultra allowed me to disable WiFi on my router and create a situation with quite low RF strength.(I had to get rid of my TV that only connects wirelessly and use an old TV that isn’t wireless). Everything in my house is now wired, including my iPhone and my symptoms are already improving. 

Sunfox
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Sorry, that just doesn’t work. Maybe it once did. But it never has for me.

With the batteries out of the wifi remote (and buttons pushed repeatedly to ensure it’s good and dead), I perform a factory reset using the IR remote. A few seconds later it comes up with the “choose your language” screen. The IR remote does nothing. About 5 seconds later a “Pair your remote” graphic appears describing hitting the button inside the battery compartment. All buttons on the IR remote do nothing, and there is no way to get past this screen without pairing a wireless remote.

Placing batteries back into the wireless remote at this point forces it to operate in IR mode (verified). None of its buttons yet do anything to control the Roku. It does not automatically pair until I hit the pairing button.

At that point the remote pairs and it returns to the language screen. The IR remote still doesn’t work! It’s only immediately after picking a language that the IR remote begins to function as one would expect.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

What is the model number of this IR remote? Can you post a picture? 

I took the batteries out of my 4800 ultra remote, factory reset the 4800, screen turn to language, using an IR roku remote I clicked English, the pairing screen came up, tap the back key it went away never to return, finished setting up the ultra with IR remote. No problems. Never asked for wifi remote again. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
Sunfox
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

It’s just a generic learning remote that captured the codes from the Roku wireless in IR mode. It works 100% normally once a language has been selected. And based on no IR commands working on that screen at all (directions, OK, back, whatever, even using that Roku original remote transmitting IR codes), but working perfectly once I’ve gotten past that screen, I’m at a loss.

What is the exact firmware version of your Roku? As mentioned, mine is 10.5.0 build 4208-C2.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

Same, 10.5.0 build 4208-C2. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Sunfox 

Try the factory reset again. Press and hold the reset button for at least 30 seconds. Ignore anything the Roku does. Hold for a continuous 30 seconds. Then try again.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Jen41
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Nope. I tried taking the batteries out, putting the remote in the microwave (faraday cage) so it wouldn’t detect it, and use my IR remote to do factory reset. Holding the button on factory reset for 30 sec does nothing- it continues on as if it was pressed for one second. Then when I get to the “pair your remote” screen, it is frozen there and the IR remote does not work. I can not hit the back button, that does nothing. The ONLY way to continue is to pair the RF remote. I’m going back to my aluminum foil.

Btw, mine is model 4662RW Roku Ultra Lt; 10.5.0.Build 4208-46

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Jen41 

Does anything show onscreen when you’re holding the reset button on the Roku Ultra? Any messages, text, anything?

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos