Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GoldMole
Reel Rookie

Re: How to UNPAIR a voice remote to disable Device Connect?

Jump to solution

I hear you, I think I did my whole setup with the IR remote last time, though I'm not sure. My hope is that there was some kind of update that runs automatically when the device is connected that made it so this setting is locked, so maybe if it's not connected I can set it up how I had it previously.

Roku's help team has been phenomenally unhelpful, it's taking me days of communication and they don't even understand the issue, they think I'm having issues getting the remote to pair. I'm pretty fed up at this point, and if this doesn't work I'm probably just going to take my subscriptions off Roku and just run an HDMI to my TV from my laptop.

I'll let you know if I find a solution though, please post back if you find one

Sunfox
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

My guess would be updated firmware where this was a purposeful change that wasn’t fully/correctly implemented, or an accidental change/oversight that needs to be corrected.

It’s not an easy thing to get technical questions answered correctly or to make bugs known when your only official company contact is through what I’ve often felt is “the wall of ignorance” of first level support… that basically just reads from a problem—>solution binder.

Jen41
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I am having the exact same problem. I did all the steps described here, including never allow screen mirroring and factory reset. I supposedly u paired the remote by pressing and holding home, back, and the pairing button together. This did make it so the remote doesn’t work, but the Roku still thinks it’s paired and won’t let me disable device connect I bought this Roku model specifically because it has Ethernet and can turn off my WiFi, but it still is frying me with RF signal. I did but this “renewed” through Amazon. Maybe I need an older model?  I wonder if an older model would have the “forget remote” option. This one does not. 

Sunfox
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Yup, never found a solution. And I bought this specifically to be able to completely turn off wifi as well. Lack of response, especially considering this is not behaving as Roku says it should be, is disappointing.

Jen41
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Sunfox, did you give up on Roku and get cable or something?  I rent my house and am moving in a few months so I don't want to start a new cable subscription but I can't figure out a way to get TV without either cable or wifi.  My symptoms from wifi exposure are getting worse and worse so its not an option to put up with it.

Sunfox
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

My wife is very EMF sensitive so I try to limit the amount of wifi in the house, especially in the bedroom, and everything that can be hard wired is. This is in another room and the wifi is on but not actively being used, so while not ideal, it can be tolerated. But I would like to get this sorted out.

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

If you perform a factory reset and never pair a remote, can't you disable Device Connect?  Of course you'll need an IR remote to get through the setup.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Jen41
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

No, I tried that.  It’s not possible to set it up without pairing the remote. I do have an IR remote but it forces you to pair their RF voice remote and you can’t continue with setup until you do that. 

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Jen41, what's the model number of your Roku displayed under Settings->System->About?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Sunfox
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Mine says:

4800X - Roku Ultra

v10.5.0 build 4802-C2

0 Kudos