Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Smarty-Pants
Reel Rookie

Cannot toggle through apps on my Home Page

Jump to solution

I have a Roku Premier device and a standard remote.  All of a sudden I can't scroll through the channels on my home page.  I can use the menu on the left side of the screen, but when I try to toggle right so I can choose a channel it bypasses them all and highlights the right side of the screen.  I can still access the channels through the Search function, but that's alot of extra steps. What's going on?  The remote is working properly otherwise, as are the channels.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Cannot toggle through apps on my Home Page

Jump to solution

Greetings Community users!

We believe that this issue has been resolved. To refresh your affected Roku devices' systems, please reboot them under Settings > System > Power (skip if unavailable) > System restart.

This thread is now being closed as the matter has been successfully resolved. If you continue to experience the same issue, we encourage you to initiate a new thread. We are more than willing to provide further assistance.

Once again, we highly appreciate your continuous patience and understanding.

Best regards,
Roku Community Team

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
77 REPLIES 77
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @Smarty-Pants 

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the Roku Community.

We understand that you're unable to access the apps section on your Home Screen using your Roku remote, and we're here to assist you in resolving the issue at hand. For this matter, a troubleshooting step is recommended to address it.

System restart your device

1. Press Home on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Select System.
  4. Select Power. If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.
  5. Select System restart.

Once your Roku device reboots, please check if you notice any improvements. Let us know what you find out.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Smarty-Pants
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

That's the first thing I tried.  I just tried it again and it did not remedy the issue.

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

@Smarty-Pants,

Thanks for your prompt response. This is likely a remote button issue. To see if the problem relies on the remote alone, try repairing it or changing some fresh batteries and see if that makes a difference.

We would like to know if the issue also happens if you use the Roku mobile app as a remote. Check for more information here on how to use the Roku mobile app as a remote.

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Smarty-Pants
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I had already changed the batteries in my remote.

I installed the Roku App on my phone.  First I tried it on another Roku device in my house.  It worked as it should.  Then I switched over to the problem Roku and tried it.  Same thing - it jumps over the channels on the home screen.  Weird.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @Smarty-Pants.

We appreciate the steps you've taken to troubleshoot your physical Roku remote. It seems that this may be related to your Roku device itself. 

In this case, let's try to reboot your physical Roku remote to see if this helps. If your voice remote uses standard AA or AAA alkaline batteries, you can reboot it by removing and reinstalling the batteries.

1. Remove the battery cover on the back of your remote
  2. Remove both batteries from the battery compartment
  3. Re-insert the negative (-) end of a battery first and then gently push the positive (+) end until the battery clicks into place
  4. Repeat the previous step to install the second battery
  5. Put the battery cover back on your remote

Additionally, if you can still navigate to your home screen using the Roku mobile app, kindly try to check for software updates under Settings > System > Software update > Check now

We highly anticipate your update. 

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
SLG10

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue all of a sudden.  No remote (physical or app on mobile phone) is able to toggle through the apps.  I can use the voice command to open an app but can’t access the apps part of the menu.  Has anyone else resolved this issue?  Reset or unplug or paring the remote again have all not been successful.  Last resort will be to restore to factory settings but I really don’t want to do that again and to have to rearrange apps again, etc.

0 Kudos
misterswaggger
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I too, am just now getting this issue. 

Physical remote, App remote on my phone is unable to select any app. from the home option i hit right, and it immediately goes to the ad on the far right. i hit left to go to my apps and the cursor selector just disappears. 

Any fix? 

0 Kudos
jackrabbitstorm
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This issue just started on my Hisense Roku TV yesterday as well,tried different remotes,batteries,app and did the system restart

0 Kudos
Kvalentine68
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I also can not select my apps.  It does the same behavior.  The left menu is accessible, then you click right to select the apps and it moves to the far right.  I have to use Search to find the apps.  I am using the ROKU streambar.  I have done all the troubleshooting and it still persists.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.