Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GreenSky
Reel Rookie

2 devices, neither control volume

This is driving me crazy.  LG television.  Tech support went through the same exact steps I've done many times.  Everything used to work, not now.  The bottom line, he wanted me to buy 2 new remotes since they're 2 years old.

I then asked for a supervisor knowing full well that there was almost no chance of speaking with anyone.  I was wrong.  There was NO chance.

So, he took my number and now I'm expect to wait (forever I guess) for a call back.  Corporate phone is ridiculous.

Is there a magic way to talk with a tech person that actually know what he/she is doing?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: 2 devices, neither control volume

Welcome, and thank you for posting here in the Roku Community, @GreenSky!

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Rest assured that we will help you utilize your physical Roku remotes to control your LG TV again. 

We want to understand your concern better and provide the most accurate resolution. Therefore, please provide us with additional information as follows:

• What specific Roku device are you having this issue with?
  • Is this the remote that came with that device? If not, what is the model of this remote?
  • Are you having issues controlling your LG TV's power and volume?
  • What other specific issues are you having with your physical Roku remote?

We'll be looking forward to your response.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
GreenSky
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the response.  It's been 2 days since I was promised a call from a level 2 (I think that's right) technician.  Too bad Roku really doesn't believe in customer service.

When I spoke with the initial tech guy, the bottom line was he suggested my remotes were old and both needed to be replaced.  I guess 12-18 months is "old."  Clearly, that's not the issue.

• What specific Roku device are you having this issue with?

This is a Roku stick.

• Is this the remote that came with that device? If not, what is the model of this remote?

There are 2 voice remotes.  I don't recall if either came with the stick but they are indeed actual Roku.

• Are you having issues controlling your LG TV's power and volume?

One remote won't work at all with power or volume.  The other will only power, not volume.  This never was an issue until a few months ago.

• What other specific issues are you having with your physical Roku remote?

No other issues.  I am able to follow instructions and set them up with the TV.  That setup lasts only for a moment.  My cable remote and of course the LG remote do not have any issues.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for responding, @GreenSky.

"When setting up your remote, your Roku device will try to find the right code for your TV brand. If the first code only controls power or volume, try a different code for your TV brand to control both power and volume."

To have your Roku device try additional remote codes, restart the TV controls setup process for your voice remote and alter the steps as follows:

1. When you first hear the music stop and are asked“Did the music stop playing?” Do not answer. Instead, turn the volume back up with your TV remote until the music is audible again.
  2. Now, answer the question with No, and your Roku device will move on to try the following remote code.
  3. The next time you hear the music stop, answer the question with Yes and your voice remote will be programmed with the new code.
  4. In rare cases, you may need to repeat this process, answering No to multiple codes before finding a code that controls power and volume.

If you find that the power and volume buttons only work sometimes, your remote is likely sending these commands to your TV using IR. Follow the steps below to get your remote to switch to using CEC.

1. Check that CEC is enabled on your TV.
  2. Go to the Settings menu on your Roku player and redo the TV controls setup for your remote.
  • Note: Not all TV models support CEC, and some may only support power and not volume. Consult your TV manual for more information.

For reference, here's the support article dedicated to this: Why is my Roku® voice remote not controlling power and volume on my TV?

I hope you find this information helpful.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
GreenSky
Reel Rookie

Your solutions are exactly the same as what I've tried many, many times.

I would have hoped Roku would have a tech call me as promised.  Maybe it's time to ditch Roku.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.