Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku remote is useless except for power & volume

I have enjoyed Roku in my home for two years… until just recently, when my remote “died.” There was no accidental fall, drop, getting wet, or anything else. It simply stopped working. That is, except for the power (on/off) button and volume (up/down) control. I tried every trick I could think of or find on the internet (batteries, restart, unplug tv, pushing buttons), but issue persists. Remote has no mic or reset button. iPhone works well as substitute, however it is a hassle. Please! Someone! Anyone! Help!  

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
daphne_colson
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku remote is useless except for power & volume

No mic and reset button sounds like an older Roku remote. Maybe it's reached the end of its lifespan? Roku sells replacements, but have you considered a universal remote in the meantime? They can be pretty affordable and work with multiple devices.

0 Kudos
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku remote is useless except for power & volume

Hi @daphne_colson

We appreciate your first post here in the Roku Community!

Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention and for your efforts in attempting to resolve it. We are here and ready to assist you further with this matter!

NoteYou can use the Roku mobile app to control your streaming device while troubleshooting your voice remote.

Here are some troubleshooting steps that can help you resolve the issue:

Please use the Roku mobile app or another Roku remote compatible with your streaming device. Follow these steps to activate pairing mode from the Settings menu.

1. Press Home on your working remote or from the Roku mobile app
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select Remotes & devices
  4. Select Add devices
  5. Select Remote
  6. Select Continue
  7. Follow the on-screen instructions to pair your voice remote again.

image.png

If you do not have a second Roku remote that already works with your streaming device or the Roku mobile app installed, you can restart your streaming device to put it in pairing mode. When your streaming device is powered on, it will automatically enter pairing mode and look for remotes.

Use the following steps to restart your streaming device.

1. Remove the power cord from your streaming device
  2. Wait at least 5 seconds
  3. Re-connect the power cord

Once you see the Home screen, follow the steps in the next section to put your voice remote into pairing mode and complete the pairing process with your streaming device.

• If your voice remote has a pairing button, it will be located either on the back of the remote or under the battery cover.
  • Press and hold the pairing button for 5 seconds, or until you see the status light begin to flash, to put your voice remote into pairing mode.

Hope this helps resolve the issue you are experiencing. If you're still facing the problem, please don't hesitate to reach out to us, and we'll be happy to provide further assistance.

Thanks,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.