Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Postwick
Binge Watcher

Re: Loosing internet connection and everything else in the house works still except the roku

@RokuKariza-D you think either of those are solutions? Lmfao. What is wrong with Roku support? Do you even pay attention to what people say? Having to buy a new device so you don't have to use WiFi is NOT a solution to the WiFi problem all your devices have. And neither is turning off a useful feature in your wifi router. 

0 Kudos
Sjv13

Re: Loosing internet connection and everything else in the house works still except the roku

I've had my Roku about a month or two and today it just started that I'm getting ready to go to bed so I'll fight with it in the morning but I don't want to have to buy a new one I just bought this one not that long ago

0 Kudos
willhuneycutt
Channel Surfer

It has decreased the amount of  times the connection drops to less than a megabyte a second (according to the roku connection status, but it still happens occasionally. I suspect there's a software update that screwed the pooch, i.e. is full of bugs in the code. Would be nice to pause or roll back updates. 

0 Kudos
yobra
Binge Watcher

I switched to a Google Chromecast which I love as fae as the design and how you can see all your apps content on the front page. However this drops also, had my internet company out here a month ago, he changed some wiring and a few other things, still drops. Once to twice a day, my apt and area gets bad reception with wifi and using my provider or Cox lowers the speed when there's a lot of traffic that could cause this. At this time I'm over it, just wait for it to connect again usually around 5 minutes. 

0 Kudos
Steve01351
Channel Surfer

I think I'll take a look at the google chromecast ap for the PC.  I ended up with a Fire Cube - mostly because if offered both a ethernet connection and the ability to use a VPN (which is something I couldn't figure out on the Roku.)  But both would be possible on a PC with Chromecast.  That said, I think the single most important part of this whole discussion is the ability to use ethernet instead of wifi.  I'd rather use ethernet anytime it's possible.   It's not as convenient as wifi, but it's a whole lot faster, a whole lot more stable and a whole lot more secure.

0 Kudos
yobra
Binge Watcher

The Chromecast comes with an Ethernet port, buy there cable from the Google store it's $19.99. But the internet still drops with that for me unfortunately. 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Sjv13,

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

We understand you are having difficulties connecting your Roku device with the wireless connection.

We will work with you and would be happy to look further into this issue but we will need more details. Can you please provide us with the following information:

1. What Roku model device are you using?
  2. Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or all channels on your Roku device?
  3. Are you receiving error messages or codes when accessing the channel?
  4. Did you make any changes to your connection recently?
  5. What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue?
  6. What are you seeing on screen? Can you provide a screenshot of the issue you are experiencing?

We look forward to hearing from you and looking closely into this issue. Thank you!

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
luckygold1
Channel Surfer

I'm having the same problem.

1. Roku Express 4k+

2. I usually go to netflix, youtube and hulu. I experience the issue on all.

3. Yes, I seen two errors. One showing to reset connection and the other saying loose of wifi connection.

4. no

5. I have spectrum internet. I have reset my roku, unplug/replug my roku/modem/router. I have to system restart my roku to get it connected again. My wireless network is 2.4ghz b/g/n and it's on channel 11. I even tried other channels and the problem still exist. 

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @luckygold1,

Thanks for letting us know about the network issue you have with your Roku device. 

For troubleshooting purposes, have you tried connecting this Roku device to an alternate wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you are able to connect? Or may try to reset your connection with your network. 

If you are getting an error code or message, refer to this link for common Roku error codes and their recommended actions: How to connect your Roku device to the internet using Wi-Fi or Ethernet

Keep us posted on how it goes. 

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
willhuneycutt
Channel Surfer

As of 2023 march 25 at 9 AM eastern time, it has been working for over 24 hours, but it intermittently drops down to <1 mbps with a good wifi connection. We tried to watch manadalorian a few nights ago and it stopped about thirty minutes in and wouldn't play. Checked internet connection and same result- good wifi connection and <1 mbps stream data rate. I've checked to make sure there's not some form of throttle on the router, like mac filtering or other port settings. We have gigabit fiber from AT&T, and every other wifi device has >17 mbps connections.

0 Kudos