Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have to reconnect to the internet every time the device powers on

Jump to solution

Model 3941X - Roku Express 4K+ connected wirelessly to the Internet. Powered by USB connection to TV (no spare wall jack nearby). Every time I power on the device and select a channel, I get the error, "Your device is not connected to the Internet." I go through the wireless setup, page through each screen (as my network info is saved from the last time I went through the setup process), select my network and password, the device connects with excellent signal strength, etc.  All is good and the device works normally. If I power off the TV (using the Roku remote), then power it on an hour or a day later, I once again get the "not connected" error, and go through the same step above. Rinse and repeat, same experience every time. The device hasn't forgotten the connection settings because they're there as prepopulated defaults in the network setup screens, it just makes me select them again each time. Any suggestions?

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Have to reconnect to the internet every time the device powers on

Jump to solution

Hi, @cjcf48

It's always great to see new users around here in the Roku Community.

We understand that you're having an issue regarding your Roku device having an intermittent connection to the network, and we'd be more than glad to assist. For this matter, we recommend following the steps below to resolve the issue:

Reset Network Connection

1. Press Home on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Select Advanced system settings.
  4. Select Network connection reset.
  5. Select Reset connection.

System Restart

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Power. If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.
  5. Select System restart

After following the troubleshooting steps below, kindly see if you see any improvements.

Keep us posted.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
FrustratedUS17
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I had to factory reset my Roku. Works after that. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 REPLIES 18
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @Petergklein

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the Roku Community.

We see that you're having an issue regarding the network on your Roku Express, and we'd be more than glad to assist. As a start, let's troubleshoot this issue. Kindly follow the steps below:

1. Navigate to Settings > System > Advance System Settings > Network Connection Reset > Reset Connection.
  2. Then restart your Roku device from Settings > System > Power (skip if no sub-menu) > System Restart. 
  3. Restart your modem/router and reconnect your Roku device to your network.

Please keep us posted on how this works, and we'll assist further.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Petergklein-

I suspect your problem is due to powering the Roku from a USB port on the TV that powers down when you turn off the TV, so the Roku shuts down and loses its net connection.  (I  would expect it to reconnect automatically when power is restored and it boots up, but it apparently is not doing that.)  See if the TV has a setting that will maintain power to the USB port all the time, or a second always-on USB port. 

If that isn't an option, try powering the Roku from an outlet to see if that changes things.  For testing purposes you could just run an extension cord.  If that works, if you prefer you could move the Roku nearer an outlet to eliminate the extension cord and use a longer HDMI cord to go to the TV.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
cjcf48

Jump to solution

My Roku streaming stick is already connected to a power outlet, and everytime I turn off the TV and turn it back on, the Roku stick will no connect.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @cjcf48

It's always great to see new users around here in the Roku Community.

We understand that you're having an issue regarding your Roku device having an intermittent connection to the network, and we'd be more than glad to assist. For this matter, we recommend following the steps below to resolve the issue:

Reset Network Connection

1. Press Home on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Select Advanced system settings.
  4. Select Network connection reset.
  5. Select Reset connection.

System Restart

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Power. If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.
  5. Select System restart

After following the troubleshooting steps below, kindly see if you see any improvements.

Keep us posted.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Andy488

Jump to solution

Why is it taking forever to turn on the TV? It should INSTANTLY hook up to the Internet and STAY hooked up like my phone. I shouldn't have to go through a hundred steps!

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Andy488,

Welcome, and thanks for posting to the Roku Community!

We understand that you are having an issue with your Roku device. We would like to know more about the problem you've been experiencing so we can offer you some help.

Refer to these questions to better identify the issue you're experiencing:

• What Roku device are you using right now? (e.g., Roku Express, Roku Streambar, Roku TV—specify TV)
  • How long have you been experiencing this problem?
  • Are there any changes in the setup or settings of your Roku device or your network provider that might cause the problem?
  • Are you encountering any error codes or messages?
  • What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to resolve the issue?

With more information, we'll be able to assist you further.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
FrustratedUS17
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue. I have a Roku TCL tv. Not a streaming stick. Every time the tv powers off, the next time it's powered on it says no internet connection. Once I system restart through settings, it works again. 

I've reset network connections and reset my router. Still same problem. I've seen this problem multiple times on various sites. 

Every Roku response tells us how to reset network settings and how to restart and tells us to power cycle the modem/router. Regardless of doing these things, the problem still exists. 

Please help. This will be my last Roku product if I can't get it working. 

Domamari

Jump to solution

This same thing is happening to me. Has anyone figured out the problem. I’m getting super frustrated and need this fixed asap. 

0 Kudos
FrustratedUS17
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I had to factory reset my Roku. Works after that. 

0 Kudos