Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ehrm

Roku Device Keeps Turning my TV Off and On and Off and On

Jump to solution

I have 3 rokus and all of them have been messing up for the last 3 weeks or so. The one in my room keeps resetting my samsung tv. I had to disconnect it from the TV and just use my smart TV. Seems there is a major glitch with roku right now. I also stopped using the one in my living room. It won't work properly either. Might be time to switch to another company!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Roku Device Keeps Turning my TV Off and On and Off and On

Jump to solution

I had to factory restart my TV! May take several attempts and all day to do so. But it can be done! It's fixed mine! Scroll up to settings on home screen, scroll up to system, scroll up to advanced settings, then scroll down to factory reset! It's easier to scroll up than down! When it keeps cutting off on you! Put in code it gives u! Then reset everything the way u had it! on't be discouraged because it will cut off on you several times! Just hang in there and u will eventually get there! Hopes this helps!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
31 REPLIES 31
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Ultra Keeps Turning my TV Off and On and Off and On

Jump to solution

Hi, @Ehrm 

Welcome to the Roku Community.

We're sorry to hear about this experience, and we appreciate you for flagging this to us. May we know what specific Roku streaming device models are you having issues with? Additionally, does this occur while watching a specific content or a channel? Furthermore, what troubleshooting steps have you taken in an attempt to resolve the issue?

We look forward to hearing back from you.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I have multiple Roku players connected to TVs, several being Samsung sets. I haven't had this happen with any of them. If it truly is the Roku triggering the TV power, it can only be done in one of two ways. Either the power button on the Roku remote is being pressed (assuming you have a remote with that button) or something in the CEC circuitry is being triggered. You can disable the CEC functionality of the Roku by going into the Settings menu and find One-Touch play. When you find that setting, disable it (remove the check from the box). If your TV is still turning on with that turned off, there's something else going on in your home. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

"1-touch play" is found via Roku menu path Settings > System > Control other devices.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
madelyn143

Jump to solution

Thank you so so much! You’re an amazing person

0 Kudos
cafiolo14

Jump to solution

Same happens to me. Roku reading this? I want my money back!!!!!

I don't want this **bleep** anymore

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @cafiolo14,

Greetings from the Roku Community, and thanks for flagging this issue!

We apologize for any inconvenience caused, and this is not our intention. We would be pleased to conduct an investigation into this issue you're encountering with your Roku device in detail.

• May we know what Roku device you are using right now? (Roku Express, Roku streaming stick, Roku Ultra, Roku streambar, Roku TV-Specify)
  • When did the issue start?
  • What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far?

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks,                                                                                                                                                John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Swanson926

Jump to solution

I have just bought and installed Roku Ultra on my Living room television. As I watch my favorite shows, on occasion, the device shuts off, then shows an error screen for about .05 seconds then the scene comes back frozen until I  select play. Then it keeps doing it. Is this what I need to expect from Roku devices? It is very irritating at times. What can I do or who can I speak to, to remedy this issue?

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Swanson926 No, that is not expected behavior. I have multiple Ultra players and none have ever acted that way. Is there any change your installation location might be letting the box overheat? Is anything stacked on it, or otherwise blocking airflow around it? I can use my Rokus for hours without any freezing up or uncommanded reboots. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
TrenaL

Jump to solution

Mine is doing the same.  I have nothing but an antenna connected.  I have switched remotes, I have disabled “turn off after 4 hours”.  I have done a factory reset multiple times.  Still does it.  Also, the menu will come up on the left hand side of the TV and scroll. This also happens during the night.  I turn off the TV, put the remote on a shelf and in a few minutes I hear it on again.  I have to unplug it.  I’m starting to think it is receiving a signal from my phone because there is not much else in my house to cause this and my nearest neighbor is about 1/4 mile away.  Please help!

0 Kudos