Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ACova
Channel Surfer

Prime Video app opens but wont play shows/movies on Roku

Jump to solution

I can log into the Prime Video channel, but when I select a movie or TV show to play the content won't play.  The Prime Video channel gives an error of "Something went wrong.  Try again later.  For more help go to amazon.com/videohelp."  This happens on both a Roku Premiere device and a Roku Express device.

This issue does not happen when using the Prime Video app on Android or Chrome browser on a Windows device.  The shows play fine in both of these cases, but do not play on Roku.

I signed out and back into the Prime Video channel.  I removed the channel and re-added it.  I checked for updates and power cycled the Roku devices.  Nothing has worked to fix this issue.

Any ideas on how to get this fixed?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Prime Video app opens but wont play shows/movies on Roku Premiere or Roku Express

Jump to solution

Hi, @jennypbg

Welcome here to the Roku Community.

We understand that you're having an issue with the Prime Video app, and we're here to assist. With this issue at hand, kindly follow the troubleshooting steps provided below:

1. Navigate to the channel tile on the Roku home screen, press the star (*) key on your remote, and choose "Remove channel".
  2. Next, restart your device from Settings > System > Power > System Restart (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step).
  3. Once your player/TV starts up again, go to "Streaming Store" on the Home screen, and add the channel back once more.
  4. You may also refer to this link: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support

If the issue you are facing continues to persist even after performing the provided troubleshooting steps, you may want to reach out to the channel provider's support team directly. They will be able to provide you with a more specific and detailed solution to the issue you are experiencing. The reason for this is that most channels on the Roku platform are created and maintained by the channel providers themselves. Hence, if there is an issue with a particular channel, it is likely that the channel provider has more information about it and can provide a more effective solution. 

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

32 REPLIES 32
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Prime Video app opens but wont play shows/movies on Roku Premiere or Roku Express

Jump to solution

Hi @ACova,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Thanks for letting us know about the behavior you are seeing with your Roku device when playing content on the Prime Video channel and we appreciate the troubleshooting steps you've done so far. 

Just to confirm, have you made sure to restart your Roku device after removing the channel and before adding the channel back to ensure the process is successful?

In addition, do you observe this error message while using any other channel(s) on your device?

See more tips and troubleshooting steps for this type of issue here: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ACova
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I don't think I originally did it in the order you listed so I just now tried it again on both devices (Premiere and Express) in this order:

• Verify I was still seeing the issue
  • Sign out of the Prime Video channel
  • From the Roku menu, remove the Prime Video channel
  • Power cycle the Roku device
  • From the Roku menu, re-add the Prime Video channel
  • Sign in to the Prime Video channel.  Again this was successful.  I was logged in.  I could see that my Prime Video subscription was active.  I could browse all the shows/movies.
  • But again, once I selected a show or movie and pressed play, it still didn't work and I still received the error message I previously described.
0 Kudos
ACova
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Sorry, I forgot to answer your second question.  I do not see this error on any other channels.  All of the other channels we currently have set up (Netflix, Youtube, Disney+, etc.) are working correctly.

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

@ACova,
Thanks for the post,

We would be more than happy to investigate further, but we will need further details. Can you please provide us with the following information?

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • Does this issue occur on a specific channel? If so, what channel and what version or build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the home screen and pressing the * button)?
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button five times, followed by the Back button five times, and provide us with this ID).

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.
We look forward to working with you to help resolve this issue.

Thanks,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ACova
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Sorry for the delay in answering.  Our Amazon Prime subscription lapsed and we waited a little while before starting it back up again.

As a reminder, this issue happens on the Prime Video channel only.  All of our other channels work correctly.  Also, this issue happens on two different Roku devices (Roku Premiere and Roku Express).  I reproduced the error on the Roku Premiere and will list all of the information you requested.  However, if you also need me to reproduce it on the Roku Express, please let me know and I can do that as well.

Model: 3920X - Roku Premiere

Serial number: YH00FM830282

Device ID: K430CF830282

Software/OS version: 12.5.0 build 4178-91

Issue tracker ID: 82-025-948

Channel with the issue is Prime Video channel.  Version number 14.1 build 2023092022

Thank you again for your help with this issue.

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello! @ACova,

Thanks for the post,

We have passed along your information to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further. Once more information is available, we will be sure to update this Community thread.

We appreciate your patience and understanding in the meantime.

Thanks,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
thebrunks

Jump to solution

Was this issue ever resolved? We have probably 5 Roku devices. They are all doing the same thing. We can stream from our phones to the roku devices but none will play directly from the device. 

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello! @thebrunks, @ACova,

A heartfelt welcome from the Roku community!

We appreciate you reaching out to us. We're happy to help.

We're sorry to hear that you are having issues right now with the channel. As we’ve gone through troubleshooting steps and confirmed that your Roku device is up to date and all other channels are working normally, we’ll need to get you in touch with the channel publisher directly for further assistance here. Please contact them directly to follow up and let them know what troubleshooting steps you’ve already attempted with us.

We wanted to let you know that we are continuing to investigate your reported issue and hope to provide you with a more detailed update when additional information is available. Thanks for your continued patience. Do not hesitate to let us know if you have any additional feedback.

Best regards,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
thebrunks

Jump to solution

Channel publisher? I’ve went through all of the steps the other person did. Tried all of my devices. Both Roku tvs and all of my roku express’s 

0 Kudos