Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Roku Device Keeps Turning my TV Off and On and Off and On

Jump to solution

I had to factory restart my TV! May take several attempts and all day to do so. But it can be done! It's fixed mine! Scroll up to settings on home screen, scroll up to system, scroll up to advanced settings, then scroll down to factory reset! It's easier to scroll up than down! When it keeps cutting off on you! Put in code it gives u! Then reset everything the way u had it! on't be discouraged because it will cut off on you several times! Just hang in there and u will eventually get there! Hopes this helps!

0 Kudos
DebbieK1

Jump to solution

This is happening to my TV too. I have two ROKU's and this is happening on both withing the past month. Worked fine before that. It is mainly happening when I am watching a recording.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @DebbieK1,

Welcome to the Roku Community, and thanks for keeping us posted!

We will be more than happy to assist you further. May we know what Roku device you are using right now? (Roku Express, Roku streaming stick, Roku Ultra, Roku streambar, Roku TV-Specify) When did you first notice this problem?

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
qp2
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku Device Keeps Turning my TV Off and On

Jump to solution

Model: 4660X - Roku Ultra

Serial: YJ004U297720

Device ID: CK48A4297720

Software 12.5.5

Build 4174-46

TV Screen goes on and off as if the roku is starting up, I can tell it is not the power because the TV powers some backlights I installed and they stay on. This problem started in April, 2024.

I have factory reset and network reset several times, nothing seems to help my problem go away. I have scoured the settings looking for automated settings to set to manual so the roku does not make decisions for me. I have noticed that if I leave my roku on (does it ever turn off?) for about 15 minutes or so the on/off behavior stops and I have a steady image. Is that the solution, to "warm up" the roku? But if the roku does not turn off then I have only turned on the TV (Samsung) and allowed the TV to warm up. That makes no sense. I have used the roku ultra and my Samsung TV for several years, so why does it misbehave now?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@qp2 No, your Roku is never "off". It will enter a sleep mode after the TV is turned off, but any device that will respond to a remote when it's "off" is not really off. It still needs to be running to receive the remote message. 

There's only one setting in the Roku that has any impact on other connected devices, and that's the One-Touch Play. That is how Roku labels their CEC control. If that function is disabled, then the Roku does nothing to control another device. But remember that the Roku remote can be programmed to control a TV via IR, and resetting the Roku won't alter that. The only IR functions the remote will send to the TV is power, volume and mute (if your remote has a mute button). I didn't even program my Ultra 4800 remote, but it controls my LG TV via IR for power and volume. I confirmed its using IR because if I put my hand over the end of the remote (covering the IR emitter) then it won't control the TV. So the Roku detected my TV via HDMI CEC and automatically configured my remote. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
qp2
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Good to know, thank you.

For now I have found that the screen stops refreshing after about 15-20 minutes of being on, but that is not a solution. BTW, when I bypass the roku and run the tv directly from the router the problem disappears.

Anyone have an idea how to stop the roku from continually refreshing the screen?

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

OK, refreshing could be different than the previous statement about the display turning off/on. On most Roku players, there's a setting under Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Advanced display settings that is labeled Auto-adjust display refresh rate. It that setting is on, your display will blank for a second or so whenever a video starts playing and again when it stops. That's because the display is syncing to the correct refresh rate of the video, which doesn't always match the 60Hz that is the default for the Roku. Turn that setting off and the Roku will remain at 60Hz, so no screen blanking. Just be aware that with a matched refresh rate some videos will look better/play smoother. 

Dan

0 Kudos
qp2
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Roku support says my Ultra is an old one - 4660X - implying that the old device is the cause of my troubles. They suggested I get the updated and current model - 4802R.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Well, the 4660 is kinda old, released in Oct 2017 so approaching eight years old. But I really doubt that is causing any issue with powering TVs off and on. Try turning off One-touch Play in the settings menu and see if that stops the issue. 

Dan

0 Kudos
qp2
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I will give the one-touch setting a try, thanks.

I am not sure that I clearly stated my problem. It is not the power that is going on/off, it is the display on the TV screen, the TV power remains on through all of this.

0 Kudos