Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lashelle69

Star on remote does not access options

Jump to solution

I am trying to access options from the home screen. When I press * on my roku remote I hear a tone and nothing comes up on the screen.  It stays on the home screen. The word options on the top right of the screen is grayed out. I'm supposed to go to options to request a code.  Any suggestions? 

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Star on remote does not access options

Jump to solution

@Lashelle69 

Thanks for the inquiry.

When pressing the * button on the home screen. Make sure that you are selecting a channel tile to open the options menu. If you are on the left hand side Roku menu, the * options will be greyed out as there will not be any options for those selections as there are in the channel tiles.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Tape,

Welcome to the Roku Community! I understand that you want to know how to enable close captioning.

Closed captions are not visible until activated. For some service providers, closed captions are activated from within the channel. The closed captioning settings available on your Roku streaming device have no effect on the content from these service providers.

For many channels, closed captions can be activated from the settings of your Roku device.

1. Press the Home button home button on Roku remote on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll up or down and select Settings.
  3. To open the captions menu, select Accessibility. If Accessibility is not listed, select Captions.
  4. Select Captions mode and choose when captions appear.
    • Off – captions never appear
    • On always – captions always appear (when available from the service provider). When service providers use their own settings, closed captions are activated within their channel.
    • On replay – captions appear only after pressing the Replay button replay button on Roku remote on your Roku remote (with content that supports instant replay)
    • On mute – captions appear only when volume is muted.

• Note: The "On mute" selection is not available on all Roku devices.

For channels that use the closed captioning settings available on your Roku device, closed captions can often be turned on or off during playback.

Note: Not all channels make this feature available.

1. After playback begins, press the Star button options button on Roku remote on your Roku remote to open the Options menu.
  2. Scroll up or down and locate Closed captioning.
  3. Use the left or right button on your remote and choose when captions appear.
    • Off – captions never appear
    • On always – captions always appear (when available from the service provider). When service providers use their settings, closed captions are activated within their channel.
    • On replay – captions appear only after pressing the Replay button replay button on Roku remote on your Roku remote (with content that supports instant replay)
    • On mute – captions appear only when the volume is muted.

• Note: The "On mute" selection is not available on all Roku devices.

When closed captions are turned on or off during playback, the setting is retained for future programs.

For full information on this, you can take a look at this link: How do I enable closed captioning? | Official Roku Support

Hope this helps! Let us know if you have any other concerns.

Many thanks,

Mary

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
30 REPLIES 30
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

If the word Options is greyed out then that's the indication that the button will do nothing.  What/who told you to press Options to obtain a code?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Lashelle69 

Thanks for the inquiry.

When pressing the * button on the home screen. Make sure that you are selecting a channel tile to open the options menu. If you are on the left hand side Roku menu, the * options will be greyed out as there will not be any options for those selections as there are in the channel tiles.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
julia1

Jump to solution

I have the same problem. I cannot move the button to choose a channel or the option button

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@julia1 

Thanks for the note.

What Roku model device do you have? If your remote is an IR remote, make sure that there are no obstructions to the IR receiver on the Roku device. Your remote should have a clear line of sight to the Roku device.

For more information regarding troubleshooting steps for an IR remote, visit our Support page here: How do I resolve problems with my Roku IR (infrared) remote?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Jude2016-

Jump to solution

I don’t understand how to get captioning on Netflix with my Roku remote

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

While playing a program on Netflix, press the up cursor key it will show what looks like quote box in the left upper corner, highlight the box and click on it will drop down a menu in the right corner will you can turn on and off the CC.

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
avalon344

Jump to solution

That is the whole problem.  I do not want to access a channel.  I want to send a new code so that I can sign up Roku,  Once you select a channel then you can only chose options for that channel.  You should give people a little more credit.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@avalon344 

Thanks for your recent post. 

It doesn't look like your are experiencing the same issue of the thread that you posted in. We would recommend creating a post in a new thread regarding your issue.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Cma

Jump to solution

From the time I’ve had my TCL Roku tv when I press the */options button I’d get a box on the screen that would let me adjust audio - leveling/Night/Off.  The sound stopped working unless this setting was at “off” and I had it at “leveling”. Once I did a restart, I no longer have the */options button - it’s greyed out. It’s never been this way before so I’m stumped. 

0 Kudos