Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Re: Star on remote does not access options

Jump to solution

@cjc3039 wrote:

As of Sept. 15th, I've been having the same problem. The star button on my TV screen is NOT greyed out, BTW. I've tried all the suggestions with no results. Also, suddenly last week, my Roku app on my Android phone isn't "found", so I can't use my Roku remote to, say, listen to the TV on my phone. I've done everything I can think of, including trying the suggestions in this forum. If the only solution is to do a factory reset, I may as well ditch Roku and go with another streaming device....one whose customer service actually provides customer service to its customers!

You didnt mention your model # or firmware version:  Settings/System/About

Your statements are contradictory - you state you've done "everything you can think of, including trying the suggestions in this forum", but dont state specifically what you have tried, but that you wont try one of the stated suggestions "in this forum":  Factory Reset

It seems odd to claim you've "tried everything" when you havent, and refuse to try the one thing that may fix the issue for you.

I would try power cycling the Roku (remove power for 3 minutes) and the remote (remove the batteries for 3 minutes), then power up the Roku, then replace the remote batteries - see if the Options (*) button works (highlight an app, press *).

If the Options (*) button still does not work (it is context sensitive), do a Factory Reset.

If it still doesnt work after the Factory Reset, and your device/remote are within the warranty period, then pursue warranty service (replacement).

As for "my Roku app on my phone isnt found", you probably mean that the other way:  the phone app doesnt find the Roku, which is the case if 1) your Roku isnt connected to the network or 2) your phone isnt connected to the same network as the Roku.

Finally, obtaining a competitor's product is actually part of a smart multi-platform streaming strategy, which is necessary to guarantee app access/availability/compatibility/capability (when things like bad firmware/app updates or carriage disputes occur), and they can be obtained for $20-150, depending on specific products.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.