Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FJB2020
Streaming Star

Remote voice control stopped working

I have had 4 people on the phone and nothing. My remote voice control stopped working.

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Remote voice control stopped working

Hi @FJB2020,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We thank you for bringing this remote issue to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience.

We need your support to help and learn more about this.

Let us know...

• When did you start seeing the issue occur?
  • How long have you been using the remote?
  • What troubleshooting have you tried so far.

Share with us additional information so that we can take a closer look at it.

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
FJB2020
Streaming Star

Update on Roku Ultra voice command never working. I gave up and decided to live without voice command. Why this is aggravating? I turned voice command off since it never worked since brand new and now I have to put up with the screen messages telling me that it is off. It also at times tries to listen while I am not even touching it so it still bugs me. The only help I ever received was getting switched from one person to another and finally deciding it was my internet providers problem not Rokus. 😡

0 Kudos
FJB2020
Streaming Star

ROKU why not have a recall in the voice activated remotes ? They are horrible. I gave up on trying to pair mine and decided to live without it. Message keeps appearing on my tv to pair the remote. I turn off the remote and now I must live with the message telling me that the remote pairing switch is off. No kidding ? You guys make a great product or I would not have purchased my third one but this technology on voice is a total bust. Go ask Amazon how to make a remote that works. 

0 Kudos
FJB2020
Streaming Star

July 2024 and my ROKU ULTRA voice activation remote is still not functioning properly. It still displays messages on my tv screen everyday. ROKU could care less about this issue. 

0 Kudos
FJB2020
Streaming Star

So bought this in January and it is July. It has never worked. ROKU has never helped. Shockingly it worked Sunday and stopped working Monday. Why did it work for one day out of 7 months? ROKU is a disaster for customer support. 

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @FJB2020!

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you. Kindly check your inbox as I will contact you privately to gather the necessary details.

Once again, your patience and understanding are highly appreciated.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
FJB2020
Streaming Star

It won’t ever work. ROKU refuses to admit that their remote control is not hands free voice activated. I have used 2 of them. They don’t work 

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for responding, @FJB2020.

Please be informed that we have two types of voice-activated remotes. One with a push-to-talk voice and a hands-free voice. 

Push-to-talk voice instructions 

Your Roku voice remote has a voice button with either a microphone icon (on newer remotes) or a magnifying glass icon (on older remotes). 

To issue a push-to-talk voice command, simply press and hold the voice button and say a command like "search for comedies," "turn it up," or "launch The Roku Channel."

Hands-free voice instructions

In addition to push-to-talk voice, your Roku Voice Remote Pro & Roku Voice Remote Pro (2nd Edition) support hands-free voice, which listens to your commands without the need for you to push a button or even handle your remote.

1. To turn on hands-free voice, simply move the slider on the side of your remote to green.

1. With hands-free voice turned on, try saying "Hey Roku..." with your remote nearby and add a command like "pause" or "turn up the volume."
  2. Practice other commands like "Hey Roku, show me the news", "Hey Roku, turn captions on," or "Hey Roku, play classic rock."

Any command you can use with push-to-talk voice also works with hands-free voice. Just remember to start with "Hey Roku...". You may find quick actions like "Hey Roku, pause" or "Hey Roku, turn off the TV" are more useful than some others.

Here's the support article for reference: How to use voice to search and control your Roku streaming device

I hope you find this information helpful.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.