Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KathyW1013

Remote totally unresponsive

Jump to solution

Hi,

My roku remote is not responsive. I have repeatedly tried unplugging the roku, the tv, I've taken new batteries out and reinserted them. Still nothing. I tried repairing the remote with the stick. Still nothing. The tv is frozen on the home page. I also restarted my modem.

Please tell me how to fix this. I have wasted so much time already.

Thank you.

Kathy

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

remote totally unresponsive

Jump to solution

Hello @KathyW1013!

Welcome to the Roku Community! 

We appreciate your efforts to troubleshoot your remote, and we're here to help you out.

Please be advised that Roku devices come with various remote models and pairing processes. To identify the type of remote you have and to check how to pair it properly, please visit our support page here: How to set up and pair your Roku voice remote. Additionally, you can also refer to this support article for troubleshooting options if your Roku voice remote is not working: How to fix your Roku voice remote that is not working.

We hope this information helps you resolve any issues you're experiencing with your Roku remote. Let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Best regards,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: remote totally unresponsive

Jump to solution

Hi @Cutiesmom,

Great to see you in the Roku Community!

Thank you for bringing this up. I just wanted to let you know that if you have a different streaming device, such as a Cox Contour Box, connected to your Roku TV, the Roku Simple remote might not work with it because it uses an IR setup. You may need to use a physical remote to navigate that streaming player, as it runs on a different operating system. Once you've selected the input for the Cox Contour Box HDMI source, you may need to use the Cox Contour Box remote.

Hope you'll find this info useful. Let us know in case you still have any questions. 

Thanks,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

remote totally unresponsive

Jump to solution

Hello @KathyW1013!

Welcome to the Roku Community! 

We appreciate your efforts to troubleshoot your remote, and we're here to help you out.

Please be advised that Roku devices come with various remote models and pairing processes. To identify the type of remote you have and to check how to pair it properly, please visit our support page here: How to set up and pair your Roku voice remote. Additionally, you can also refer to this support article for troubleshooting options if your Roku voice remote is not working: How to fix your Roku voice remote that is not working.

We hope this information helps you resolve any issues you're experiencing with your Roku remote. Let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Best regards,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
Src77233
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

How does this help when none of the buttons will respond? The pairing won't respond because the remote is acting like it is dead but new batteries have just placed in the remote. Your solution only describes solutions that involve using the remote fix the issue, but the remote IS the issue.

RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Welcome, and thank you for posting here in the Roku Community, @Src77233!

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We'd be happy to help you utilize your Roku remote again so you can get back on streaming at your convenience. 

Before proceeding, is this the remote that comes with your Roku Streaming Stick+? If so, please let us know if any lights blink when you press the buttons. If there are indeed blinking lights but the remote doesn't respond, kindly press and hold the Back and Home buttons simultaneously for about 20 seconds to reset it. After doing so, pair it again to see if this will make any difference.

We'll be anticipating your update. 

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Src77233
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It is the remote that comes with the roku streaming stick and no there are no blinking lights on the remote when you push buttons

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for confirming, @Src77233!

As we check, your Roku Streaming Stick+ is no longer under our warranty timeframe. Please see our support article dedicated to this: Where can I find the Roku limited warranty?

Furthermore, you may visit our website for our latest offers. Roku Remotes

In the meantime, we appreciate your continuous patience and understanding as we work on this.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Src77233
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you for telling me what I already know, I am not asking about the warranty, I'm wondering if the remote is unresponsive and new batteries does not fix the problem, do I need to buy a new remote or do I need to replace my whole roku system?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Src77233, the only time any light flashes on the remote is when it's put into pairing mode by pressing and holding the pairing button (if the remote has one) or pressing and holding the Home and Back buttons at the top of the remote for 5+ seconds.  If you're doing that and the light on the remote doesn't start flashing, then it's probably only the remote, but that doesn't mean the Roku device doesn't also have a problem.  If the Roku Home Screen shows the correct time in the upper right corner and not "No connection" (or is it "Not connected"?), then the stick has an Internet connection and is probably fine.  If it's connected to the Internet, then you should be able to use the mobile app to control it which would prove that the stick is working.  For a stick that plugs into the TV without the need for an HDMI cable, you need one of the voice remotes.  Depending on the age of the stick it may make more sense to replace everything since voice remotes aren't exactly cheap.

Roku Mobile App - Free for iOS® or Android™ | Roku

Accessories | Roku Player, Streaming Stick, Smart TV & Audio Accessories | Roku

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Cutiesmom

Jump to solution

I have a "simple remote" on my Onn Roku TV. I am unable to pair it with my Cox Contour Box. Please explain how, because the TV Settings do not explain how to do this. There is no "hole" on my remote, it doesn't blink. It's a simple remote. The problem is in the settings of the TV.

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

What Roku calls a "simple remote" is an IR remote and IR remotes don't pair.  If you point it at the TV, it should work. 

Banned but back. Because why not?
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.