Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote power level keeps flashing on screen

Jump to solution

Since the remote uses the same Wi-Fi channel as the stick, try changing your Wi-Fi channel on your router.  Another thing to try is switching from a 5GHz channel to a 2.4GHz channel or vice versa.  Don't use "Auto" for your channel.  Pick one and stick with it unless/until you find a good reason to change it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
candjstew
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It does not seem to be a wifi interference problem.

Switching between the 2.4 and 5 ghz does not resolve the problem.  

Trying different channels does not solve the problem.

Turning off the router entirely does not solve the problem.  With the router off.  The remote continues the described behavior.    

There are no other strong source of wifi in the area.

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@candjstew, I'd say you've narrowed it down to a bad remote.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
esteffen769
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

it's the remote. I have Roku Ultra. This remote did it on both units; the other remote does not. It's the remote !!!

I just noticed the green light on back of remote flashes and then battery message comes up, every 5 seconds 😑

jodola
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have the same issue, and I followed these steps, but it didn't help.  I have the 4802X Roku Ultra, SN X01000P8HA67, software 12.0.0 build 4184-C2, and the Voice Remote Pro model RC795, firmware rtn.4228, with a rechargeable battery, so I can't remove the battery cover or replace it.  I've had the device for about 3 months and I've had to charge the remote twice.  The second time was two nights ago - I got the message in the upper right corner saying "Remote Control" with a battery level indicator showing 1 red bar.  I charged the remote overnight.  Then yesterday evening and this evening, while trying to watch my shows, the "Remote Control" message started popping up, with full green bars, would stay on screen for 5 seconds, go away for 5 seconds, come back on for 5 seconds, ad infinitum.  While it's doing that, besides being a constant annoyance while trying to watch a show, it also makes the remote less responsive.  I often have to hit a button more than once for the command to register.  I got out my old Roku Express remote, because there is no lag, but the messages about the Voice Remote Pro continue on.  I followed the steps you listed - I unplugged the power cable from the Roku, waited 5 seconds, and plugged it back in, and the moment it restarted and was back on the home screen again, the "Remote Control" messages started again.  I continued with the pairing steps anyway, and the messages haven't stopped.  It there a way to unpair, and disassociate that remote altogether so I can just use the old remote?  Do I have to do a factory reset?  I've read several posts in this forum with people having the same issue, and factory resets didn't fix their issue, but maybe they were repairing the same remote.  Thank you!

RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi! @jodola,

Thank you for reaching out to the Roku Community!

For additional help solving an issue with your Roku Voice Remote Pro or one of its features, refer to the detailed article: Setup and chargingHow do I resolve issues with my voice remote?

Please keep us posted on what you find out, and we will be more than happy to continue assisting you further. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
jodola
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@RokuArjiemar Thank you for response.  I read through the article, and it suggests the same steps that @RokuNimfa-C suggested in their reply to @Lazerloss1 to re-pair the remote.  My post was in reply to @RokuNimfa-C's post (although I forgot to @ them), in which I said that I tried those repairing steps and that didn't help.  Other users posting in this thread are having the same issue and this didn't work for them, either.

The other suggestion in the article is to switch to the 5GHz wireless network, but my router was issued to me by my internet provider (it's a router/modem combo unit), and I don't have a way to log on to change those settings.  User @candjstew replied on this thread that making this switch did not work for them anyway.

@candjstew also said that it appears that the problem is that the remote is trying to repair over and over by itself - what they describe is exactly what I'm experiencing: "The problem is the remote is repairing over and over.  It DOES pair.  It just drops and repairs over and over.  This takes about a 5 second loop.  Remote works, then doesn't, then flashes a few times on the back, then the battery icon shows on the screen.  Over and Over - in about a 5 second loop."

The "fix" that I have come up with is that when I turn on my TV and go to the HDMI input with the Roku (using my TV remote), I don't touch the Voice Remote Pro.  Instead, I point the simple IR remote that came with my old Roku Express at the Roku Ultra and navigate to my channels/shows.  I get one notification showing the battery level on the voice remote (which is very low because it seems to be constantly trying to pair - it was 100% on Wed and is now 20% 5 days later), but that goes away and I don't see it again, because I'm not using that remote.  If I start to use the voice remote, then the constant battery level messages start up again.  It's a shame, because this means I can't use the features on the voice remote, and it's only 3 months old (I forgot to mention that it came with the Roku Ultra, purchased 3/26/23).

What the article you linked to doesn't address is how to unpair the voice remote.  How do I disassociate the remote altogether so the the Roku doesn't ever tell me anything about it?  Is that possible?  Or would I have to pair another voice remote to replace it first.

Thanks!

RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @jodola,

Thanks for keeping us updated!

Have you tried doing a system restart and pairing your Roku Voice Remote Pro again to see if the issue persists? If not, we highly recommend doing a system restart by navigating to Home and then going to Settings > System > System Restart. Once you've done this step, press and hold the pairing button at the back of your Roku remote for 30 seconds, then press again for 5 seconds when a green light starts blinking. Wait to see a prompt for the remote pairing.

Please let us know how it works.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jodola
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply, @RokuTakashi. Your suggestion was very similar to that of @RokuNimfa-C, who suggested unplugging/replugging the Roku, rather than a System Restart, before going through the pairing steps, which did not work.  I tried the System Restart and then pairing, and that also did not work.  The battery status continues to flash on and off.  Nothing I have tried will allow me to use the Voice Remote Pro without experiencing the constant flashing of the battery status.  I guess I will continue to use the simple remote.

0 Kudos
RokuAnjelie
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @jodola,

Thanks for the update. We genuinely appreciate your response!

May we know if the remote you're using is the original remote that came with the device?

With more information, we can assist you further.

Please keep us updated.

Thanks,

Anjelie

Anjelie A.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.