Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davecarp

Re: No headphone jack on the Roku Remote Pro 2nd Edition

Jump to solution

I can't find my Apple EarPods so I can't use the Roku App to silence the TV while listening. That's why I went back to using the Roku remotes. I just bought three Roku Voice Remote Pro Rechargeable ver 2 and have to return them because they do not have an headphone jack like my version 1 remote has. Can I purchase three version 1 remotes? Do I have to choose between using a headphone or having a rechargeable battery? 

Purchasing another set of earbuds would cost more than simply and completely replacing all the Roku devices in my house.

Dave Carpenter

RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Welcome, to the Roku Community, @davecarp.

Thanks for reaching out. We'd be happy to help you with your questions.

The Roku Voice Remote Pro (2nd edition) omits the headphone jack; however, the Roku mobile app serves as a viable alternative at all times.

To answer your question, you can consider getting the Roku Voice Remote Pro, which has a headphone jack and is also a rechargeable remote that works with any available (wired) headphones you have.

We hope this answers your question. Feel free to respond if you need further clarification and assistance. 

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
FranklinJ
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I have a few ways of listening to the audio portion of the show with the video through my Roku ultra device.

I keep an iPhone 6s  that has an earphone jack Built-in. I can use standard wired headphones with the iPhone 6 or use an extension cable to give myself a little more distance between my earphones and the iPhone. What is important is that you have and utilize the official Roku remote app.

With any of my iPhones, And again utilizing the mobile Roku app as an interface, I can Bluetooth directly to the iPhone device or use the remote app to route the sound through the iPhone for personal listening Or use like a speaker pillow. Bluetooth headphones cost is low is 1995 to 29.95.  Additional cost if you want additional features.

On the newer, iPhone models, I can purchase a USB-C headphone And plug the USB – C headphone directly into the USB-C port of the iPhone.

For the price of a Roku remote, you can have your choice of wired headphones or Bluetooth wireless headphones And the official Roku remote app is free. 
I hope you find at least one of these plans beneficial for your personal needs

0 Kudos
BulldogX
Binge Watcher

A Backlit Remote, But Loses Earphones!

Jump to solution

Finally, Roku relented and gave us a backlit remote. But check the fine print ... the backlit remote doesn't have a connector for earphones!! C'mon Roku, will it kill you to put both features in one remote?

RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: A Backlit Remote, But Loses Earphones!

Jump to solution

Hey @BulldogX,

Welcome here to the Roku Community!

Thanks for letting us know about this! We truly appreciate customers like you who share their feedback. Please rest assured that we will pass this on to the relevant team. Just to let you know, we decided to remove the headphone jack to improve the battery life of the Roku remote. But don't worry, you can still use Headphone Mode with your Roku device by using our mobile app.

We recommend trying our Roku mobile app in headphone mode. Before you start, make sure your wired headphones or Bluetooth headphones are plugged into your mobile device or paired and connected.

Here's how to activate Headphone Mode:

1. Open the Roku mobile app
  2. Tap Remote from the navigation bar
  3. Tap the Headphone icon to activate Headphone Mode

image.png
Once Headphone Mode is activated, adjust the volume to a comfortable level and put on your headphones. When you want to deactivate Headphone Mode, tap the 
Headphone icon again. If you have wired headphones, you can activate and deactivate Headphone Mode by plugging in and unplugging your headphones when the Roku mobile app is already open.

We strive to ensure that our customers enjoy the best possible streaming experience. Your feedback will be promptly forwarded to our team for consideration. 💜

Best regards,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
BulldogX
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

... And let's say I want to have my phone handy for other uses?

Emissary35
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

"Thanks for letting us know about this! We truly appreciate customers like you who share their feedback. Please rest assured that we will pass this on to the relevant team. Just to let you know, we decided to remove the headphone jack to improve the battery life of the Roku remote. But don't worry, you can still use Headphone Mode with your Roku device by using our mobile app."

First of all if Roku didn't already 'know about this' then that's ridiculous!

Second, you don't have to remove the headphone jack to 'improve battery life' because anyone who doesn't use the headphone jack will already conserve battery life.

Third, it's a rechargeable remote so battery life isn't as crucial, you can always plug it in to recharge.

Fourth, if you have to remove the headphone jack in order to improve battery life that indicates something was wrong with it in the first place if excessive battery drain is occurring. So instead of removing it how about fix and improve it in the newer model remote?

Also many people don't want to use their phone to plug in earphones, that is good for a secondary option but it should not be the only option. Roku's attitude and responses really do baffle me.

These remotes are very poorly designed, they didn't just remove the headphone jack but also the two shortcut buttons and replace it with only one button that brings up a shortcut menu. The volume and mute buttons are still on the side of the remote where they can accidentally be activated just by handling the remote, they should have been moved to the top of the remote.

RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @BulldogX,

Thank you for getting back to us! We understand that using your phone apps or navigating with the Roku mobile app may still be possible, but it may not fully meet all your needs.

The Roku Voice Remote Pro (2nd edition) doesn't have a headphone jack. However, the Roku mobile app can be a good alternative. The Roku Mobile App headphone mode lets you connect your Bluetooth headphones and immerse yourself in a solo streaming session.

To address your concern, you may want to consider the Roku Voice Remote Pro, which has a headphone jack and is a rechargeable remote that works with any available (wired) headphones.

We genuinely hope this information helps. Please feel free to ask if you need further clarification or assistance.

Thanks,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
BulldogX
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

It is clear to me that you are intentionally avoiding my point. So I'll end with this:

Please do not communicate with me again until Roku offers a remote with (1) backlit keys; (2) a headphone jack; and (3) voice control, all combined in the same remote.

RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thank you for getting back to us @BulldogX!

We understand that the design of this remote may not be suitable for everyone, and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Please be assured that we take your concerns seriously and will definitely communicate this valuable feedback to the relevant team.

Thanks for your understanding and for continuing to be a part of our community.

Best regards,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.