Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FranklinJ
Streaming Star

Re: A Backlit Remote, But Loses Earphones!

Jump to solution

I use the Bluetooth function built  into my  Roku Ultra. Given the headphone jack has been removed from the remote pro II (RCB1r) I suggest a Bluetooth circuit added to a version of the remote pro II-b  (RCB1r-b). 
for those who do not own a Roku Ultra, and their Roku  device does not support a full range of Bluetooth. 
the new remote uses WiFi to connect to Roku base unit, and your headphones/speakers Bluetooth into the remote. 
the control software would need some modifications to allow for remote device Bluetooth on/off with WiFi sound connectivity, and then you would Bluetooth into the remote. No mobile app needed.  That may resolve some connectivity issues. 

0 Kudos
FranklinJ
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I use the Bluetooth function built  into my  Roku Ultra. Given the headphone jack has been removed from the Remote Pro II (RCB1r) I suggest a Bluetooth circuit added to a version of the Remote Pro II-b  (RCB1r-b). 

for those who do not own a Roku Ultra, and their Roku  device does not support a full range of Bluetooth. 

The new remote uses WiFi to connect to Roku base unit, and your headphones/speakers will  Bluetooth into the remote. 

The control software would need some modifications to allow for remote device Bluetooth on/off with WiFi sound connectivity, and then you would Bluetooth into the remote. No mobile app needed.  That may resolve some connectivity issues. 

0 Kudos
FranklinJ
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I use the Bluetooth function built  into my  Roku Ultra. Given the headphone jack has been removed from the Remote Pro II (RCB1r) I suggest a Bluetooth circuit added to a version of the Remote Pro II-b  (RCB1r-b). 

The new remote uses WiFi to connect to Roku base unit, and your headphones-speakers will  Bluetooth into the remote. 

The control software would need some modifications to allow for remote device Bluetooth on-off with WiFi sound connectivity, and then you would Bluetooth into the remote. No mobile app needed.  That may resolve some connectivity issues. 

0 Kudos
FranklinJ
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I use the Bluetooth function built  into my  Roku Ultra. Given the headphone jack has been removed from the Remote Pro II (RCB1r) I suggest a Bluetooth circuit added to a new version of the Remote Pro II called the Remote Pro II-b  (RCB1r-b). 

Useful for those who do not own a Roku Ultra, and their Roku device does not support a full range of Bluetooth. 

The new remote uses WiFi to connect to Roku base unit, and your headphones-speakers will  Bluetooth into the remote. 

The control software would need some modifications to allow for remote device Bluetooth on-off with WiFi sound connectivity, and then you would Bluetooth into the remote. No mobile app needed.  That may resolve some connectivity issues. 

0 Kudos
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @FranklinJ, thank you for keeping us in the loop here in the Roku community!

We appreciate your valuable input and suggestions regarding our Roku remote and assure you that they will be relayed to the relevant team for careful consideration. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further thoughts or ideas. We are committed to taking proactive steps toward addressing your concerns.

Best regards,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Pope22192

Jump to solution

I’m echoing what others have said and am also frustrated. Roku went off and started to diversify their product portfolio by focusing on IoT devices like cameras, lights, etc. All the while they have neglected their core product. The remote is the thing you are holding when using the steaming device (flagship product) and it is frustrating enough that it has taken them this long to provide customers with a backlit remote. They STILL won’t provide customers with the ability to program the 4 buttons on the bottom so I’ll have to continue to run tape over them because I don’t even want to see them. There is no button for “Last App” where we can quickly drill back into whatever the previous app was. And now that the backlit part has been fixed, they take away the headphone Jack. The beauty of the Jack was the simplicity and ease in which you could connect. I don’t want to each for my phone!  Plus, my father is in his 70s and I’m not going to train him on how to connect the audio through the app. 

Please fix this Roku! No reason we can’t have all the features. I won’t buy another remote until it has everything I mentioned plus one more thing…if the new backlit remote is not USB-C then that is another fail. I didn’t check, but if they are still using micro usb, then shame. USB—C has become the standard and if anything, is appreciated because of the ease of connection…no need to fumble with getting the orientation right. 

0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Pope22192 Almost all newer TV's are bluetooth compatable so bluetooth headphones that connect automatically to a TV work great for elderly.  I have a 97 yr old friend that uses wireless bluetooth headphones and they work great.  If the TV does not support bluetooth you can purchase a bluetooth sender that connects to the optical audio out on the TV.

0 Kudos
DH2OS
Reel Rookie

Re: No headphone jack on the Roku Remote Pro 2nd Edition

Jump to solution

I just received a new Gen 2 Roku Voice Remote Pro this morning - and was a little horrified to find that the headphone jack was missing!  I will return it.

I normally use a wired headset because the sound quality is much better than my TV's speakers - so I can better understand some of the actors with stronger accents (BritBox!).  I also very much like being able to carry the remote around while listening!

Also, even with using the headset daily for a few hours, I still only need to charge the Gen 1 remote about once every 1 - 2 weeks.

A suggestion for Gen 3!  If you can't put the headphone jack back in, then have the electronics engineers make a redesign that allows the USB C charging port to also be used as a headphone jack (it's quite unlikely that someone will be using their wired headphone jack.  I have an adapter cable ($6 and about 8" long) which has one end as a USB C male with the other end as a 3.5 mm female.  This allows me to use the USB adapter cable between a wired headset and the USB C charging port on my cellphone!  The Roku remote should be able to be redesigned to do the same thing.

I'll have to stick with the Gen 1 for now.

0 Kudos
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hey there, Community Users!

We're so grateful for all the about our Roku voice remote 2nd edition. We understand that some of you were disappointed about the removal of the headphone jack, and we genuinely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. As our valued customers, your feedback matters a great deal to us, and we are committed to working together to bring this up with the right team for further review and consideration.

Thank you for your understanding and support!

Best regards,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
xenon2000
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

What shocks me the most about dropping the wired headphone jack and only offering the use of a mobile device for headphones, is that is shows Roku doesn't understand the audience for the wired headphones. Which is primarily elderly that often need support from younger family and friends for the setup and troubleshooting of mobile devices. But also there are plenty of younger users that simply do not want to rely on a 2nd device just for private audio. If Roku wants to save money, simply stop including the wired headphones but keep the jack.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.