Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FranklinJ
Streaming Star

Re: No headphone jack on the Roku Remote Pro 2nd Edition

Jump to solution

Have you tried using your cell phone with the “official Roku app?”
You can configure the app to play the sound through your cell phone, a Bluetooth port on your cell phone, or the “USB-C”  to audio out on your cell phone.

In the Official Roku mobile app there is a switch to toggle called “headphone mode”

Unfortunately, I cannot send you a picture of this Software switch, however, I can give you some instructions.

In the mobile app Link the app to your device.   You can do that in a section marked “Devices” on my app,  Devices”  is located on the bottom of the screen.  Select your Roku device that you wish to have connected to your cell phone for audio.  

After selecting my Roku device, I select from the bottom of the screen, the icon named “remote”  I get a working image of a roku remote control device.

You may check to see if the software remote is properly connecting to your device by using the left arrow right arrow home button, etc.
Presuming it is properly connected, in the upper right corner is a gear.  Press the gear
Among other sub menus on the gear, you should see haptic feedback, Swipe, switch device, and “headphone mode.”

Select “headphone mode”  And you may get some visual cues that your official Roku mobile app is now channeling the sound through your phone device.

Have your headphones connected to your phone device as you normally would for audio, and you should hear the sound of your Roku device. Depending on my headphones, and the type of phone I use, I can connect to the Headphone audio jack, Bluetooth into the phone, Or use the USB-C To Mini headphone Adapter connected to my USB-C on the phone.  
Feel free to write back if these instructions do not work for you.

Or better yet let me know that these instructions do work for you!

0 Kudos
Mbs1979

Jump to solution

I had the same concern about the 2nd gen losing the headphone jack, but it is good to know that the Roku TV app’s remote has the headphone button. I never had any issues with the battery life on my 1st gen remote with the headphone jack and USB-C charging port. It lasts a very long time, and I even use the headphone jack and connect a Beats headset to it. The sound is amazing.

I am looking at replacing my 65” Samsung 4K Smart TV with a 75” Roku 4K Smart TV (I despise the Samsung “Smart Hub” interface… it is absolutely horrible). I love my 43” Roku Smart TV I have in my bedroom, but I want the 75” Roku in my living room. Does the 75” Roku TV come with the 2nd gen remote?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Mbs1979, there are three classes of TVs from Roku themselves.  You can see what they come with here (the Pro series comes with the VRP 2nd edition):

Roku TV – Learn about Smart TVs with Roku streaming built-in | Roku

For Roku TVs made by other manufacturers, you'd have to check their websites.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
DH2OS
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hello FranklinJ ...

I haven't used the mobile app but I'm sure it works as you described.  My response:

1)  A cellphone will weigh a little more than twice what the remote does.  I can carry my wired remote in my shirt pocket and barely realize that it's there.  Can't do that with a cellphone.

2)  To use the app you'll need to go through a lot of steps (like any app) while looking directly at the cellphone.  This takes time and distracts from what is playing.  The Voice Remote Pro is very well designed as an ergonomic device - after a few weeks of use, I can operate all the buttons without looking. 

3)  Because the Voice Remote Pro is designed well enough that I don't to look at the buttons then I don't need backlit buttons at all.

4) I use the remote for a few hours a day and the rechargeable battery lasts for about a week, and even with that, I get about an hour's notice on screen before it stops working.  We all charge our cell phones daily, so doing the same with the Roku remote is just as easy and just as normal.

5)  I don't have Bluetooth headphones but from what I can see the ones that provide good quality sound can be expensive.  The headsets I use are all wired and all produce very high-quality sound and cost $10.

6) I can't comment on the increased range because my house is relatively small and I can currently get a good signal everywhere with the Gen 1 remote.

The next time Roku wants to make a change - use Focus Groups!  It takes longer to get the new product out the door but you'll have better certainty that your users will like your new product.  When you're trying to improve on an existing product your groups will need to consist of members who are already familiar with the current product.

All the best!

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.