Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: New Roku Express remote doesn’t work

@Madster, ah, you're in Canada I assume.  That model is no longer sold in the States.  You guys always seen to get the short end of the stick.  I do recall several months ago that there seemed to be a rash of bad remotes right out of the box.  I don't know what advice to give other than take it back.  I'm with you - I don't know if I'd be willing to try a third time, but the law of averages says eventually you'd have to get a good remote.  If you're not interested in 4k you could try the 3930CA.  Anything else is going to cost more and then you might want to weigh getting a Voice Remote to go with the Express 4K vs. one of the higher priced models that comes with a Voice Remote.  Personally, when I have trouble with a manufacture's product I go with a different manufacturer, so I wouldn't blame you at all if you went that route.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
RobN
Reel Rookie

I’ve got the same problem. I bought a Roku Express 4k and within a day the remote was dead 

Madster
Channel Surfer

@renojim Yes, I am from Canada. That sucks that I just happened to buy that Roku product that had a bunch of issues! Thank you so much for your replies to my post. This is very helpful information and I am literally on my way to the store right now to check out other options. I'll take a look at the 3930CA as well. Cheers! 

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Greetings @RobN 

Welcome to the Roku Community and thanks for posting regarding your Roku Express remote that isn't working.

Please be aware that the Roku Express 4K comes with a simple remote. What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to fix your remote issues? Have you tried replacing the batteries in the remote? Are you making sure the IR sensor on the Roku device is visible?

For more information and troubleshooting steps regarding your remote, visit our Support page here: Fix your remote

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be more than happy to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Madster
Channel Surfer

@RobN That's so frustrating that your remote died within a day. Hopefully you were able to get your device set up before it did that! 

When I was scouring the internet to find a solution for my remote not working, I saw that you can download an app through Roku to use your phone as a remote. I wasn't able to do this in my situation because I couldn't complete the set up phase of my device, but if yours is already set up, my understanding is that the app will be able to sync with the device that is already hooked up to your internet.

0 Kudos
ciotog
Reel Rookie

I am in the same boat. I bought the Roku Express 4K , SKU 3940CA a couple of weeks ago. The remote worked for a short while, I was half-way through setting up the WiFi password when it stopped working and hasn't worked since.

What are our support options from Roku?

0 Kudos
ciotog
Reel Rookie

Browsing further in the forums, I came across this post: https://community.roku.com/t5/Remotes/bought-a-Roku-Express-with-a-defective-remote-how-to-return-it...

This suggests that the problem is not with the remote, but with the Roku device itself.

0 Kudos
Madster
Channel Surfer

@ciotog I just ended up returning the Roku Express 4k because the whole experience with recieving two defective models was just so frustrating. It does seem like the Express 4k has a lot of issues, so I didn't want to risk waiting too long to return it and getting stuck with something that never worked as it should out of the box. I'm surprised that Roku is still selling them to be honest. 

In the end, I opted to purchase the cheaper Roku Express model (3930CA). I was able to set it up without issues, which was a huge relief. I'm also 3 days into using it, and so far the remote still works. Hopefully it stays that way. 

RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @ciotog

Thanks for reaching out here in Roku Community. 

I hope you are doing well. We can see that you have a Roku Simple remote, have tried the suggested steps above posted by @RokuDanny-R? Replacing the batteries in the remote and making sure that the IR sensor on the device is visible. 

Still no dice? Kindly send it here the Roku device serial number where you tried to pair the remote. Its serial number or device ID is printed on the bottom or back of the product. 

Please keep us posted on what you find out. 

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
AnnaLemos
Reel Rookie

I purchased a Roku Express device and the remote was not working. I tried new batteries, followed all the troubleshooting instructions, but nothing helped. I lost my receipt, so I couldn't change it for a new one. What can I do about it? Would you guys replace my remote? 

0 Kudos