Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abby7
Reel Rookie

New Roku Express remote doesn’t work

Bought a brand new Roku today and tried to set it up but the remote doesn’t work. I’ve tried new batteries and different angles. All the troubleshooting suggestions and nothing works

27 REPLIES 27
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Re: New Roku Express remote doesn’t work

Hi @abby7

Welcome to the Roku Community. 

We're here to help you with your Roku remote. We can see that you have a simple remote, for precise, simple tips and troubleshooting steps you can test it by looking at the front of the remote through a digital camera. If you see a flashing light in the camera view, then the remote is working. If there's no flashing light, the remote has failed.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link: How to fix your Roku voice or simple remote that is not working.

Let us know if there's any difference after and if it doesn't work kindly send it here the serial number of your Roku device where you tried to pair the remote. 

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
abby7
Reel Rookie

Hi, the suggestions in the support link didn’t work. Where do you want me to send the serial number?

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

@abby7 

Thanks for the reply. 

We're sorry to hear that. You can try to access the website using a different browser. Please feel free to share the serial number of your Roku device in your response, or you can send it to me privately if you prefer not to post it publicly. And we'll review it further. 

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
abby7
Reel Rookie

Thanks! SN: S014328899C0

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

@abby7 

Thanks for the information.

I have passed along your information and concern to our Support team. I'd recommend keeping an eye on your email since they'll be reaching out to you from there.
Your patience and understanding are greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
abby7
Reel Rookie

Hi, just wondering how long it will take to hear from the support team? 

0 Kudos
Madster
Channel Surfer

So, I purchased a Roku Express 4K device and the remote didn't work right out of the box. I tried new batteries, followed all the troubleshooting instructions but when I looked at the remote through a digital camera, I saw no light, so I knew I had a failed remote. I then exchanged my Roku for a new one, and guess what.... I got another failed remote! I am so frustrated right now and I don't know what to do because I don't trust that purchasing yet another new Roku Express 4K will provide me with a working remote. Any suggestions on a different device around the same price that will guarantee I will not get another dud of a product? I have never been so dissapointed with a purchase before. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Madster, do you mean the Express (3960R) or the Express 4K+ (3941R2) that comes with a voice remote?  The model number is always more helpful.  The voice remote has to be paired to the Roku device.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Madster
Channel Surfer

@renojim It's the Roku Express 4K SKU# 3940CA. This one has the simple remote without a pairing button.