Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RonOh
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku remotes with channel numbers?

Exactly.  Thats what i said. I got DirecTV Stream boxes. 4 different TVs.

There's a cost to it. This is not like “cutting the cable”. That whole no channel number access doesn't work for me.

So i pay for ease of use and I’m happy with its function and operation..

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@RonOh  I’ve been a cord cutter for years. I’ve used PlayStation Vue, DirecTV Now, Hulu + Live TV, FuboTV, Philo, Sling, AT&T TV, DirecTV Stream and YouTube TV. None of them have channel numbers on Roku or FireTV. Never bothered me or millions of other subscribers. It’s just something to get use to. 

RonOh
Binge Watcher

Understood. If you have to settle for some reason and don't mind getting used to it good on you.  I don't have to settle for less than I need.   Its pretty clear there is a market for the remote with numbers. This thread has been going since 2020 as I recall. 

I did see a post in this thread from someone who identified a couple of remotes with channel numbers. If I had the time i would explore it. 

Have a great day..

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Numeric pad on Roku remote

@RonOh 

I believe @Tivoburkee has mentioned that the white directtv remote, as well as other brand TV remotes will work on the RokuTVs for channel numbers.

I will edit this post if I find it unless he stops by first to confirm.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Tivoburkee

Re: Numeric pad on Roku remote

@AvsGunnar 

All I know for sure is certain universal remotes with numeral keypad preset can be used on antenna and live tv tile with Roku tv's, I have no idea if it works on Directv Stream channel for direct entry of channel numbers. I know it doesn't work for Pluto tv. 

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
StevenCee
Roku Guru

If that's true, then why does Roku number all their streaming stations? What's the point of numbers if you can't use the numbers to access them? As to why it can't access OTA stations, because different areas have different numbers doesn't seem relevant, because if that made a difference, then no generic remotes would ever work, since the numbers may not be connected to the same network channel, but they do. It doesn't matter to the remote what's on these stations, its only job is to take us to them. 

But even if I were stuck having scrolling as the only way to access OTA stations, that would not be an issue, as there's less than 70, while the Roku streaming channels go from around 111 to 1100 or 1200. And it's the Roku stations & scrolling through them all, where most of the issues appear. It's bad enough having to try to get to 1080 from 325, as there is no function that speeds up the scrolling, but too often it flips back to the previous channel, before I can reach the other. And attempting to pause and read what's playing on the channels is a roll of the dice, for time may run out at any moment.....

Ello2022
Roku Guru

@StevenCee  DirecTV Stream offers channel numbers with no one to input them on Roku, FireTV, or Chromecast. I use YouTube TV. They don’t have any channel numbers. I scroll through networks to find what I want. No biggie. It’s part of streaming. There is a trend going on here. The issue is you bought a Roku TV not knowing what you were buying. You had 30 days to return it. Now your passed that and blaming Roku’s for all the issues you were having. If you were that unsatisfied with the TV you should have returned it and purchased something else that’s more suitable for your needs

atc98092

@StevenCee wrote:

If that's true, then why does Roku number all their streaming stations? What's the point of numbers if you can't use the numbers to access them? 

I can't disagree with you there. As for some other channels (Pluto for example), they too number their channels but there's no method to access those numbers on many devices. Not specifically a Roku issue.  I can't access those channel numbers on an Nvidia Shield either. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Brandito
Binge Watcher

You actually can enter numbers for streaming channels and it will jump to them as you'd expect. You need a remote with numbers of course. I use a Logitech Harmony remote.

Currently OTA channels do not offer this functionality or I haven't figured out how to do it. You need a way to enter the decimal point is my guess

AvsGunnar

@StevenCee 

As @Brandito induicated, you can use numbers to navigate the Roku Channel both Streaming Guide and OTA Guide.  You can easily do it with the keyboard feature of the Roku mobile Remote App.

Currently, the easiest way is with the Voice Remote (or voice feature on remote app) to just jump between Channels (again in both Roku Channel Streaming and OTA Guides), by announcing the Channel number or the Channel name.

Like the others has mentioned, these methods do not yet work across the platform in the other Channels/apps.  Would be nice if the ability is being actively developed.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102