Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StevenCee
Roku Guru

Re: Roku remotes with channel numbers?

I'm not familiar with the keyboard option with the Roku app. Is it something onscreen, or do I need to connect an external, bluetooth keyboard? But whether I use the keyboard or voice, which is great if I already know what channel I want to watch, neither helps with the issue of trying to read the program guide, to see what's playing on each channel. Why there seems to be some sort of (too short) time limit on scrolling, is very puzzling. Yet, it somehow knows when I've scrolled far from the station I'm watching, to see what else is on (during a commercial), and hoping it will soon bounce me back, it won't!!  

Often, I don't even remember what number station I was currently watching the show, but even when I do, it means scrolling, scrolling, scrolling, to get back to where I was. How it will mess with me like that, as it does so almost every time, while bouncing back when I don't want it to, is a head-scratcher for sure, something only Rod Serling could explain....

StevenCee
Roku Guru

Not sure why you insist on commenting about so many other streaming devices & companies, which are not Roku, and your assumptions about what I bought or why I'm dissatisfied with the bugs occurring, which I am hardly alone in experiencing, are even more unhelpful. If you have no solutions to offer, beyond "love it or leave it", you might be better off, just scrolling on by, instead.
I understand fully, that Amazon Prime or Netflix don't have station numbers, but they also are not streaming live, where it matters whats on what channel at what time, etc. I've used streaming services for many years, so that's obviously not what the issue is. All those who've filled more than 10 pages of comments are bugged because Roku offers hundreds of live streams, all marked with channel numbers, has a program guide with those same numbers, yet has a remote device, without a number pad, so won't let you go directly to specific channels, nor allow you to scroll through the program guide, without it snapping back to a previous channel.

If you don't agree it's an actual issue or valid complaint, just move on, telling me to get over it, or that I should've returned the TV within 30 days, (despite my not being the person who originally bought it), is not helpful and serves no purpose, and I can never understand why on user forums, for any product, there's always a few who love to tell people their complaints are invalid, because theirs works just fine... smh

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@StevenCee It's the Roku app on your phone or tablet. Rokus don't have on-screen keyboards, other than what is built into a specific channel usually for logging in. And they don't support an external keyboard (USB or wireless). The app has a keyboard that works for some actions within the Roku, although not everything. When you have the Roku app set as the remote, there's a button that will open the keyboard. You should see it below the virtual directional pad.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@StevenCee  No one said anything about channel numbers in Netflix or Prime. I use a live tv streaming service. It’s called YouTube TV. They don’t have channel numbers. Either does Hulu + Live TV, FuboTV or Philo. DirecTV Stream does after options to show channels but it’s worthless without a remote with numbers. That goes for FireTV and Chromecast. Roku, FireTV and Chromecast all don’t offer a remote with channel numbers. The Roku channel is FREE. So why complain, I never even use the Roku. Channel. That why I use YouTube TV

Every single post of your is how unhappy you  are. But Roku didn’t make your TV. If you were that unhappy with it then return it. But apparently it was a gift. So your using a free tv with free content and your still complaining? You have like 6 different posts going on. You don’t like the way your OTA channels work, you don’t like the way the Roku channel works, you don’t like the remote, you wonder what to do if the remote breaks. The list goes on and on. Not being a jerk but you obviously aren’t happy with your TV so you should have returned it for a model that would suit your needs better. Maybe a Samsung Smart TV and a Roku Ultra 

Tivoburkee

@StevenCee 

Get a universal remote with number keys and try out for yourself? The Onn 6 universal remote sold at Walmart for $12 is great remote for Roku tv's. 

onn. R113663 6-Device Universal Remote - Walmart.com

It can even be programmed via computer if you have proper cable:

JP1 Remotes :: View topic - New Remote URC-3660 (hifi-remote.com)

Edmund

I am not a Roku employee.
StevenCee
Roku Guru

It's obvious you haven't even read my posts, because you continue to talk about things that have nothing to do with what I'm experiencing. And you clinch your irrelevance by saying you don't even use the Roku Channel, so how is your opinion at all credible, on top of being completely unhelpful? I sure wouldn't be wasting my time telling someone what to do about issues they're having with their Windows computer, since I use a Mac....
And you're right, "no one said anything about channel numbers in Netflix or Prime", especially me, so why do you keep bringing it up?

Ello2022
Roku Guru

@StevenCee  It helps if you tag the person your trying to respond to. 

Saggman54
Reel Rookie

wise men speak when they have something to say,
others just have to say something.

StevenCee
Roku Guru

Well, yet another wack Roku non-feature, why have Reply boxes following each person's post, if it's not to reply to that particular post? I didn't realize I had to specifically write the person's handle, or hit Quote (especially on long posts), but I did it here, just so you can be sure that my comments were directed to your snarky, condescending, and completely unhelpful responses. Do you really have nothing better to do? If you're not being helpful, why even comment?

atc98092

@StevenCee   Most forum software will not group replies to a specific post, but lists them in chronological order within the same thread. He is correct that it helps to tag someone if you are responding to a specific post. Otherwise it might be difficult to know who is responding to whom. That's just the way public forums work. A general response to a thread would not need any tagging, unless a post is trying to help someone specific. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.