Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikulskn
Reel Rookie

Up and Down Buttons only Not Working on Roku Remote even after trying everything

I have a model RC350 Roku remote that came with my TCL TV a couple of years ago.  Now suddenly the Up and Left buttons do not work.  I have tried everything from replacing batteries, doing numerous resets per the this community and others, system restart, cleaning contacts inside, etc etc.  To me, seems like I just need to get a new remote due to a circuit board failure of some sort, unless someone out there really found the fix!  So just posting before I just buy a new one.  Again, it is a model RC350 remote with firmware 2.01.19.108.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Up and Down Buttons only Not Working on Roku Remote even after trying everything

Well since you've already taken it apart you can try a trick I've used on several (non-Roku) remotes over the years when a button stops working.  It's usually the conductive layer on the rubber button that has worn off (or dirt is keeping it from making contact, but you've already tried cleaning it).  Glue a little dot of aluminum foil to the rubber button.  It's not the best fix since the foil often falls off and causes more problems, but if it works you may be able to get a little more life out of the remote.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
mikulskn
Reel Rookie

Re: Up and Down Buttons only Not Working on Roku Remote even after trying everything

Well now I tried just operating the remote just with the circuit board out of the case.  Using a piece of tin foil and just pressing down on the cleaned circuits where the push buttons would do the contacting, the left and up buttons still do NOT work but the other buttons work with this tin foil method.  So it  tells me there must be some other issue.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I have at least one (non-Roku) remote that does exactly what yours is doing.  No amount of shorting the contacts will get a few of the buttons to work.  I just chalk it up to a dead remote.  Electronics do die.  Not everything can be fixed by software.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
mikulskn
Reel Rookie

Yep, I just ordered a new one since they are cheap!

0 Kudos