Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
edicius828
Reel Rookie

Re: TCL Roku TV & Google Home

Jump to solution

So, these are the steps I've taken:

• Made sure Fast TV Start is enabled on both TVs
  • Made sure both TVs were up to date with software/firmware
  • Made sure both TVs were linked to my Roku account
  • Unlinked and re-linked my Roku account to my Google Home account
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled Google Home on my phone
  • Ensured everything is on the same network and SSID (both TVs and my phone)
  • Hard reset of both TVs (cut power completely, waited about 30 seconds, then restored power)

About the only thing I haven't done is factory default both TVs, but considering they were both new out of the box when I linked them to Google Home, I figured that was an unnecessary step.

Both TVs show up fine in my Google Home account (always in an 'Off' state), they're just totally uncontrollable either via Google Home app or Google Mini voice commands.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @edicius828,

Thank you for keeping us posted here in the Roku Community!

We'd love to assist you further with this issue that you're experiencing. Can you please provide the details that @RokuERey requested above?

We'll wait for your response.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Newton57
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Uninstalled, rebooted, factory reset, checked network links ... all the points listed as per other posts. Hours spent repeating the potential challenges.

Still shows 'off' and then the annoying Google message.

I actually chose the TCL set as it stated Google compatible. Well at the moment it clearly isn't. 

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for keeping us posted, @Newton57

Could you please provide the following information below? This would help us investigate this case further.

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).
  • Google Home version

We look forward to hearing back from you.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
turtwig
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

It's been over a month since this issue was first reported and two weeks since I discovered it.

Do you have any updates on this matter?

Are there plans to fix it?

If not, can we at least get a statement so I can go back to the retailer and tell them that the product is being missold.

RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for keeping in touch, @turtwig

We'll provide an update with the appropriate Roku team regarding this. This issue is still under investigation to be addressed.

We appreciate your patience and understanding as we work on this.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
DavidJr
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Now I am here along with everyone else. I have bought both a Hisense and a TCL Roku TV and I have done the same as everyone else here. Only instead of Google I have been using Alexa. I also tried google but that also doesn’t work lol. This issue started Oct 20th for me. If it’s a software issue then I agree it needs to be fixed or a statement needs released. The thing that really angers me right now is the fact that I called Roku support and was told that I must have bought the wrong TV or didn’t understand how to properly set it up. I was made to feel like I was dumb and just doing things wrong when the whole time it’s been an issue on their side this whole time. I’ve been given the run around, told to buy a different TV (which is why I got the TCL), told to try buying a Bluetooth receiver (which I did and doesn’t help), and told to try asking a younger member of my family that would probably understand technology better then me (I’m 30). I used to love my Roku products and would tell those I knew not to bother with Firesticks and chromecasts because Roku was the best. I guess I’ll take my old dumbass self somewhere else and get products that are easier for me to understand. 

edicius828
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Okay, that last part would have really irked me. I work in phone tech support, supporting literally dozens of different products and I know more than a little about troubleshooting. Sure, Google Home has been hot garbage for more than a while (and now they're actually removing features), but this is clearly a software issue on Roku's side of things.

DavidJr
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Right? Thank you for saying that. When it was said to me I was like “I’m sorry…what?” 

ohpkuser
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

As the original poster, I find it a little heartening that I'm not the only person with this issue. Misery loves company!

I just hope that Roku will work with TCL to resolve this issue quickly and issue a patch. 

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.