Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jrich
Channel Surfer

Sound problem on antenna channels when Roku is activated

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Jrich
Channel Surfer

Re: Sound problem on antenna channels when Roku is activated

Update on this problem. On 2 Roku TVs from different manufacturers, over the air (antenna) channels which have sound before activating Roku lose sound when it is activated. This only effects some channels.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Jrich,

Thanks for bringing up this concern with us in the Roku Community!

We understand you're having a problem with the antenna channels since you can't hear any sound or audio on the Roku TV. We will gladly help you, but we need some information to further assist you.

• What are the brands of your Roku TVs?
  • Do you have any other devices connected to your TV? (e.g., speakers and other sound systems)
  • Can you please check your TV's volume level and mute settings using your remote?

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Jrich
Channel Surfer

I have had this problem on a Philips tv and TCL tv.  I don't have any other equipment connected. Sound settings are okay. Sound is okay on all but 5 channels. Example: sound is okay on 48-1 but not on 48-2 and 48-3.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Jrich,

Thanks for keeping us updated on this issue!

We appreciate that you've provided the information needed to further assist you. Please try these troubleshooting steps below.

1. Press the home button on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll and select settings.
  3. Scroll and select System.
  4. Scroll and select power.
  5. Select System Restart.

If the issue is still persistent, please keep us posted on what you find out.

All the best,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Jrich
Channel Surfer

Thanks for your interest in this problem.

I have tried both a system reset and a factory reset. Neither changed the problem. Interesting, occasionally and randomly, one of the channels will have sound until I select another channel and then return to the first one. It doesn't have sound then.

Jrich

0 Kudos
Jrich
Channel Surfer

John,

https://www.cetconnect.org/channels/how-to-fix-audio-issues/. This article may be of interest.  CET is one of the stations I have a problem with. 48-1 works fine. 48-2 and 48-3 have the problem. CET is channel 48 in Cincinnati OH.

Jrich

0 Kudos
Jrich
Channel Surfer

The chief engineer at CET TV said turning SAP (secondary audio) off should fix the problem based on his experience. However, on my TCL ROKU tv with software version 12.0.0 build 4190 the SAP ON/OFF option is only available on channels where SAP is available. The problem channels say SAP is not available and the SAP setting just shows (none) with no ON/OFF option. Does anyone know how to turn this off?

0 Kudos
ecnzlmn
Channel Surfer

I’ve been dealing with this issue for two years on three different antenna channels, all associated with NBC…25.1, 46.1, and 66.1.  All the other networks have perfect audio.  Mine was a severe and annoying audio choppiness…video is fine, and it’s not a signal problem…full bars on every antenna channel.  I’ve researched this like a maniac and tried every suggested solution.  Finally, thanks to the contributor who mentioned the SAP fix, I gave it a shot. I pushed the * on my TCL Roku  remote control which got me to the TV Settings menu.  Then I went to Accessibility & Captions.  Under that menu, there is an SAP selection.  As the former contributor mentioned, there is no “On/Off” option.  It just says “Off”, and you can’t toggle to an “On” option.  HOWEVER, there is a selection right below “Off” that says “Spanish”.  So I said, what the heck, can’t hurt to test it.  Sure enough, it DRAMATICALLY improved the choppiness issue on all the problematic channels.  Not perfectly, but close enough to not be annoyed anymore.  I don’t know why the toggle from Off to On is labeled Spanish, but hallelujah, it worked.  Thanks for the tip!  I hope this helps the other frustrated folks who’ve battled similar issues with fruitless support from Roku and TCL.

0 Kudos
ecnzlmn
Channel Surfer

Thanks Jrich!

Your info got me on the right track.

Check out out my post below.  I hope it helps.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.