Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JayRP

VPN or proxy error for Paramount plus live TV error

Jump to solution

I am having a similar problem.  Paramount Plus is extremely slow to open on my Roku device, the blue circle usually runs for several minutes.  Half of the time, it wants me to re-sign in. Once I get past that, I encounter various errors.  For example, it will sometimes say: An error has occured, but we're working on fixing it.". If I am lucky enough to get past that to the home screen, I can sometimes select a show.  However, I then get the "you are using VPN or a proxy" error.  The bottom line is I am unable to actually stream anything.   My Roku is a 3930rw - Roku express running software 12.5.5 build 4174-AE.  I should note that paramount works fine on my other TV that is running an Xfinity box.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: VPN or proxy error for Paramont plus live TV error

Jump to solution

Hi, @JayRP

Warmest of welcomes here in the Roku Community.

We understand that you're having an issue regarding the Paramount Plus app on your Roku device, and we're sorry to hear about the experience and trouble. We would recommend following the troubleshooting steps provided below to resolve the issue.

1. Navigate to the channel tile on the Roku home screen, press the star (*) key on your remote, and choose "Remove channel".
  2. Next, restart your device from Settings > System > Power > System Restart (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step).
  3. Once your player/TV starts up again, go to "Streaming Store" on the Home screen, and add the channel back once more.
  4. You may also refer to this link: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support

Once all of these steps are performed currently, kindly provide us with updates on how this works.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @JayRP

Warmest of welcomes here in the Roku Community.

We understand that you're having an issue regarding the Paramount Plus app on your Roku device, and we're sorry to hear about the experience and trouble. We would recommend following the troubleshooting steps provided below to resolve the issue.

1. Navigate to the channel tile on the Roku home screen, press the star (*) key on your remote, and choose "Remove channel".
  2. Next, restart your device from Settings > System > Power > System Restart (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step).
  3. Once your player/TV starts up again, go to "Streaming Store" on the Home screen, and add the channel back once more.
  4. You may also refer to this link: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support

Once all of these steps are performed currently, kindly provide us with updates on how this works.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Did not work for me.

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Milancoleman,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We see that you're having the same issue when accessing Paramount Plus and we appreciate the troubleshooting.

When did you start seeing the issue? Could you also share with us a photo of the error message?

We'll be anticipating your response!

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

This did not work for me. 

Jump to solution

image.jpg

Here’s their error. Mind this worked all weekend. Now it doesn’t. 

nnane
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have the same issue. 

When pressing * STAR on the app's tile, there's no REMOVE — because it's a subscription. 

The only options are:
MOVE APP / MOVE APP TO TOP / MANAGE SUBSCRIPTION / CHECK FOR UPDATES / CLOSE 

Under MANAGE SUBSCRIPTION: 
TURN OFF AUTO-RENEW / CLOSE

It looks like the only way to REMOVE IT would be to TURN OFF AUTO-RENEW. 

What's the fix!?!

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @nnane,

Thanks for keeping in touch!

If you have a subscription directly through Roku, then the option to remove the channel will not be an option until the end of its billing cancel once you turn off auto-renew or cancelation.

We would recommend performing a system restart by following the steps below.

System restart your device
  1. Press Home on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Select System.
  4. Select Power. If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.
  5. Select System restart.

In addition, we would also suggest accessing the channel once more with an alternative network like a mobile hotspot and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, please report back along with the details below.

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About) mobile device brand, model, and OS
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).
  • Channel version.

Once the update is available, we'll be able to forward this to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation.

Best regards,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Ybanc

Jump to solution

I’m having the same problem.  It will play other shows but not FBI streaming shows..??? I followed instructions stated earlier.. deleted app, force restart, re-added app and still doesn’t open.  Keeps giving same error message.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

That error message is not coming from Roku. It's coming from the provider themselves. If you are not really using a VPN or proxy, then it's a problem at the server end and Roku can do nothing about it. You need to complain to the provider that their app/channel on Roku devices is inaccurately claiming you have a VPN, and they need to fix it at their end. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.