Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rxc
Reel Rookie

Roku Live Channels not working

Jump to solution

I have both a ROKU 3 and a ROKU Express in my home, connected to two different TVs. They are connected to the same router and then to my ISP (T-mobile Wireless WiFi). I have been using ROKU for quite a while, but two nights ago the vast majority of sub channels on the ROKU LIVE TV main channel just disappeared.

The ROKU Express is
Model: 3930X
SN: X00400YK6Y29 - Note: This is different from the number printed on the device, which is S00831AK6Y29
Device ID: S00831AK6Y29
Software version 11.5.0 Build 4312-AE

The ROKU 3 is
Model: 4200X
SN: 1GS3A4087103
Software Version 11.5.0 Build 4312-04
No Device ID displayed on the “About” screen

I was watching Modern Marvels at about 7PM on Feb 7th, when the screen served by the ROKU Express just went black. I waited a few minutes to see if it was a network connection, and then tried to change channels to another sub-channel on ROKU Live. Nothing. The channel guide worked and showed the channels, but I only saw a black or dark blue screen with the Channel info at the bottom of the screen. The remotes work fine and there was no power outage.

I tried some other main ROKU channels besides ROKU Live and some seemed to work, while others did not. I checked my router and ISP modem, but they were all normal, and even streaming content to my wife's phone. I went to the TV with the ROKU 3, and it was exactly the same as the ROKU express - some main ROKU channels worked, but most of the sub-channels on ROKU Live TV were dark. I also checked my separate Netflix and Amazon Prime streaming apps, which go directly to the main TV, and they were working fine.

I rebooted the ROKU device to see it that helped. Nothing changed. I then checked my ROKU account to see if anything had changed. I found that my credit card number needed to be updated, but I don't have any pay accounts on ROKU, so that should not have been a problem. I updated all the ROKU software on both devices, and Modern Marvels came back to life, as well as a few of the lower numbered sub-channels on ROKU Live, but the vast majority were still gone.

Today, after reading this thread, I deleted the Live TV on ROKU channel, restarted both ROKU devices, and re-installed it. I now have the following subchannels on Live TV: 116, 120. 123, 126, 129, 135, 138, 164, 142, 147, 281, 289, 293, 321, 332, 358, 386, 455, 469, 470, 1101, and 1103. All the rest are dark when selected from the Channel Guide.

This situation has not changed in 2 days, and I am starting to wonder whether there is something that I need to change in my subscription that I don't know about. Can anyone tell me what is going on with ROKU Live TV? Do I need to do something?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rxc
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku channel shows not playing

Jump to solution

Well, I thought that I had posted a similar problem a few minutes ago, but it does not appear to be anywhere here.  But at least I have good news:  I rebooted my router and ISP modem, and all the ROKU Live TV channels came back.  Lesson learned - turn everything off, and then back on, and it will all work again.

View solution in original post

53 REPLIES 53
rxc
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Well, I thought that I had posted a similar problem a few minutes ago, but it does not appear to be anywhere here.  But at least I have good news:  I rebooted my router and ISP modem, and all the ROKU Live TV channels came back.  Lesson learned - turn everything off, and then back on, and it will all work again.

Empyntr23

Jump to solution

I tried all fixes but Roku live TV only displaying TV channels but not playing them.

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Empyntr23,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand that you are facing an issue with the live TV on The Roku Channel. We apologized for the inconvenience this caused. We would like to know what went wrong so we can assist you further and fix the issue.

We recommend starting here to troubleshoot channel issues: Follow these steps in order:

1. Navigate to the channel tile on the Roku home screen, press the * key on your remote, and choose 'Remove channel'.
  2. Next, restart your device from Settings>System>Power>System restart (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step).
  3. After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.

If the issue persists, please refer to the support article here for additional troubleshooting steps: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support

If the steps provided still aren't helping, please reply back and we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
sandyvandy
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I've done all this more than once.  Both my roku devices work to show youtube, netflix, etc., but NOT hallmark channel or Roku channel.  The live acts like it's going but never does, and the actual movie says play but won't go to movie, just play pops back up.  Today is Wed 4/19/23

BJW23

Jump to solution

I have tried all suggested items from removing, reinstalling, unplugging, restarting router.  It still doesn't work.  I do not have a VPN so don't understand the problem.  I played perfectly fine until a couple of days ago.  It is happening on all three of my Roku devices.  Also, Redbox not working as well.

bbochnik

Re: Roku Live Channels not working

Jump to solution

My ROKU Live Channels are not working as they did before. Why not?

I've deleted the channel

Restarted

Installed the channel back

Nope this did not work. 

I've rebooted my roku several times, still not working. I've deactivated the device and reactivated the device. Nope still doesn't work. 

ROKU I've used you for several years now and you have finally failed me. Please fix the live channel feed. 

RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @bbochnik

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand that you're having a problem with the live channels. We would be happy to look further into this issue, but we will need more details. Can you please provide us with the following information:

• Can you please provide us with a picture or video of your issue?
  • Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing?

With more information, we're able to assist you further.

Thanks,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
B_norwood

Jump to solution

The issue is cause I think by NAT translation. I am a ISP and we have seen this and only fix is asking for a PUBLIC IP (Static) from your ISP as this will fix the current issue with ROKU movies. I do not know why ROKU can not fix this or will not, but this is why it will work on a Hotspot and not your local ISP.

0 Kudos
Jing1

Jump to solution

My Roku have the same problem, I have a Guest House, my 16 rooms all use Roku devices, and now, they all can’t play, when you click the channel, the screen goes dark. 

0 Kudos