Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dez411
Channel Surfer

Insufficient Power. Was this issue ever resolved?  I'm experiencing the same issue..

Jump to solution

Hi @RokuMary-F 

I've got the Roku Express 4K+ 3941R. It was fine, hdmi and power plugged into the TV but I switched internet companies today to Spectrum. Then when I power on the Roku, IIRC I got a message that the hdmi wasn't good enough for high bandwidth, IIRC, and to unplug the power and hdmi cords and reattach. I think I turned it off then on, then got the other screen saying Insufficient Power, that the USB didn't supply enough power plugged into the TV, and to plug it into the wall.

I unplugged then reattached the hdmi and plugged the power into the wall. I've plugged it into 3 different wall outlets and tried another USB cable and get the same message. 

It's not letting me click anything, the same as others here described. I've used this Roku successfully for a years and it's set up as instructed. Not experiencing issues with my Ultra LT or WiFi.

This leaves me with only the bedroom Roku. Please advise. SN S07P217M1RRH

Editing to add: I tried my older Roku Express (not 4K+) on that TV/cords setup and it worked fine. The problem is definitely the Roku I listed the serial number for.  I saw in a comment from Danny in this thread that the Ultra LT (that is still being sold and I just bought 2 months ago) and these old Express versions are all not supported now. What can I do about mine, especially the new LT?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Insufficient Power. Was this issue ever resolved?  I'm experiencing the same issue..

Jump to solution

Thanks for letting us know the issue seemed to resolve itself! It's possible the cable may be "on the way out" and intermittently working. You might try replacing the power cable, as it's easy to replace. If you're under your one-year warranty, reach out to the same customer support ticket and ask for a replacement. If you're outside of warranty, you can find a replacement power cable at your local electronics store. 

We'll go ahead and mark the post as solved, but feel free to reach out again! 

Happy Streaming!

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Re: Insufficient Power. Was this issue ever resolved?  I'm experiencing the same issue, out of the b

Jump to solution

Hi @Dez411

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you are experiencing. 

We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. We appreciate that you have taken the time to troubleshoot the issue and have tried different outlets and cables. But even after doing the steps you still see the issue occur, I have passed along your information and concern to our Support team. I'd recommend keeping an eye on your email since they'll be reaching out to you from there.

Your patience and understanding are greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
Dez411
Channel Surfer

Re: Insufficient Power. Was this issue ever resolved?  I'm experiencing the same issue..

Jump to solution

They emailed me with the same standard directions that originally came up on my screen as if they didn't read my post at all. The only other thing it said was to do a factory reset. I'd taken my older original Express (not the 4K+) and plugged it in to the same setup the Express 4K + was giving the Power Insufficiency error on and it worked fine.

A couple of days later I plugged the Express 4K+ back in to do a factory reset but it worked fine right away, with no changes made since the last time when I had the error msgs. So, it stopped working for no apparent reason after switching internet providers then started working for no apparent reason too.

0 Kudos
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Thanks for letting us know the issue seemed to resolve itself! It's possible the cable may be "on the way out" and intermittently working. You might try replacing the power cable, as it's easy to replace. If you're under your one-year warranty, reach out to the same customer support ticket and ask for a replacement. If you're outside of warranty, you can find a replacement power cable at your local electronics store. 

We'll go ahead and mark the post as solved, but feel free to reach out again! 

Happy Streaming!

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.
0 Kudos
MShortes
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am having the same power issues. I have tried plugging into the wall and every way to troubleshoot this and it is not working. I’ve had this roku for many years on the same tv for many years with no issues and it started two days ago. Do the roku’s just age out? 

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @MShortes

We appreciate you bringing this to our attention. 

Have you tried connecting your streaming player to a different USB port on your TV? Are using any USB cable other than the one that came with your streaming player? Replace it with the one that came with your player or may also try to replace the USB cable to see if it helps. 

Let us know what on how it goes. 

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
MShortes
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have plugged it into a different usb cord with the provided cord I’ve been using for years. I tried multiple tvs as well as plugging into a wall outlet.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@MShortes 

Thanks for following up. Can you please provide the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About? I'll be able to pass it along to our Support team who can assist you further.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
MShortes
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have tried and tried and I can’t get past the power warning, it just resets itself before I can do anything. The SN on the device states… SN: SS4622038277.

0 Kudos
MShortes
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I made a mistake…

SN: 5S4622038277

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.