Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KM003

HBO Max not available in your region

Why do I keep getting the “Sorry, HBO Max isn’t available in your region yet” if I’m in a location where it should work and it was working fine before?

0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: HBO Max not available in your region

Hi! @KM003,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community!

Please could you tell us more about the issue you are experiencing? Where are you located right now?

If you travel outside the US, you won't be able to stream, sign in, or access your Max account. You also can't stream HBO Max outside the US as it is currently only available in the US.

For MAX Support, please check this out: https://help.max.com/US-en/answer/

Please keep us posted on what you find out and will be more than happy to continue assisting you further. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

why is not available hbo max in roku

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @realthug555,

A warm welcome to the Roku Community!

Thanks for letting us know about your inquiry. Could you please tell us where you are located right now?

If you travel outside the US, you won't be able to stream, sign in, or access your Max account. You also can't stream HBO Max outside the US, as it is currently only available in the US.

For MAX Support, please check this out: MAX Support

Please keep us posted on what you find out, and we will be more than happy to continue assisting you further. We look forward to hearing back from you.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Gerbuay
Reel Rookie

I have HBO max in another country and an open subscription and works fine from my phone because my phone did not automatically update to Max as Roku did... now I can't stream HBO on my Roku TV because it updated to Max. Any suggestions? 

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

A warm welcome here at the Roku Community, @Gerbuay!

We appreciate you for reaching out regarding the accessibility of the Max app on your Roku TV. No worries. We'd be more than happy to find you the best resolution possible.

May we know in what country you are trying to access the Max app on your Roku TV? It may be possible that it is not available in that region. In addition, have you tried to check for system updates on your Roku TV? You can check for it by navigating to your Home screen. Scroll up or down to select Settings > System > System updates > Check Now. 

As a workaround, here's what we can suggest:

• Remove the Max app: navigate to your Home screen, move to the right, highlight the app, press Star*, then select Remove channel
  • Perform a system reboot: navigate to your Home, select Settings > System > Power > System restart
  • Re-install the app: navigate to your Home, scroll and select Store, look for the Max app, then press Add channel

Let us know how it goes! We'll be anticipating your update. 

Kind regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Gerbuay
Reel Rookie

Using in Costa Rica... HBO Max works fine here, it's Max that's the issue... I can reboot this 100 times that it won't work unless HBO max is brought back and the system didn't update automatically to Max

0 Kudos
BISimion
Reel Rookie

Same in Romania, I have a subscription in my country for HBO Max. Still, because Roku automatically (did not ask) updated the HBO Max channel to the MAX channel, I cannot access my HBO account on the new MAX Channel because that channel is only supposed to work in the US. The previous HBO Max channel worked fine with my HBO subscription.

This is an issue Roku should address and bring the old HBO Max channel back, which worked just fine.

Strega2
Roku Guru

It would be up to the content provider to keep their older app available. Interesting that Max stated that some devices like some phones would not automatically update to Max due to "technical issues".  (In other words, they wanted to update it automatically.)

It seems more likely that they would want to make the current app work in more places.  In any case, I think you should ask MAX about their plans.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@BISimion wrote:

This is an issue Roku should address and bring the old HBO Max channel back, which worked just fine.

Sorry, this is not a Roku issue. HBO is the provider of the channel and content. They have sole control over their channel on Roku devices, and the locations it is available. Roku has zero control over individual channels for where they are available. Only HBO controls that, so they are who you need to contact for support. 

Be  aware that Romania is not an officially supported country for Roku devices, so you use them in that location at your own risk. The only officially supported locations in Europe is France, Germany and the UK.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.