Cameras & doorbells

Discover how to use Roku cameras and doorbells in your home. Join the community discussion for installation tips, troubleshooting, resources, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
matrevino72
Binge Watcher

How to view smart home cams on Roku TV

Jump to solution

so this is actually 2 parts, how do I view cams on a roku TV, and can I use my currently owned wyze cams? if yes or no, since they are Wyze cams, can I just manually update the firmware to the "roku" firmware?

Ain't nothin To it But To Do it
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: How to view smart home cams on Roku TV

Jump to solution

Hello @matrevino72

Thanks for your interest in Roku Smart Home products!

The Roku Cameras channel lets you view a live stream on your TV from all your Roku Smart Home cameras and your video doorbell. A Roku streaming player or Roku TV™ running Roku OS 11.0 will add the channel automatically after you install your first camera or doorbell, but for the optimal experience, Roku OS 11.5 or higher is recommended. If you currently do not have OS 11.5 on your Roku device, you can manually check for an update.

For more information, check out this Support link: How to view a live video stream from your Roku Smart Home camera or video doorbell

Regarding your Wyze cameras, please be advised that Wyze devices cannot be controlled by the Roku app, and Roku devices cannot be controlled by the Wyze app. 

I hope this answers your inquiry.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
24 REPLIES 24
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello @matrevino72

Thanks for your interest in Roku Smart Home products!

The Roku Cameras channel lets you view a live stream on your TV from all your Roku Smart Home cameras and your video doorbell. A Roku streaming player or Roku TV™ running Roku OS 11.0 will add the channel automatically after you install your first camera or doorbell, but for the optimal experience, Roku OS 11.5 or higher is recommended. If you currently do not have OS 11.5 on your Roku device, you can manually check for an update.

For more information, check out this Support link: How to view a live video stream from your Roku Smart Home camera or video doorbell

Regarding your Wyze cameras, please be advised that Wyze devices cannot be controlled by the Roku app, and Roku devices cannot be controlled by the Wyze app. 

I hope this answers your inquiry.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
matrevino72
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Partially answered, as I asked, since these are essentially the exact same cams that Wyze has on the market, I would assume its just a firmware difference, and can that firmware be manually flashed via sd card? I am willing to use one of my cams as a guinea pig if you can point me to the firmware download for the cams.

osxanalyst
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I agree.  I hope to be able to integrate my Wyze products with Roku as well.  If this is a final position re compatibility it seems very shortsighted.  The two products are seemingly identical apart from the firmware loaded on each.

matrevino72
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

yes, they are exactly identical, surprisingly the roku models are actually cheaper by a few dollars, but I have also already contacted support by phone regarding the firmware, and they don't seem to know anything, the agent I spoke with told me their "support person" that handles the cameras is not in today. SMH I'm hoping once these take off they will start posting the firmware to download and manually install, unfortunately the only problem I see is that you would not be able to use an existing cam plus subscription with the roku app.

0 Kudos
Wobble

Jump to solution

Are there plans to make it so WYZE works on Roku?
It would be a shame to expect WYZE owners to discard all of their cameras to use the Roku app when there is really just an upgrade to the Roku that will allow this? Especially if there is a possibility of WYZE becoming Roku.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I would suspect that Wyze would not want their devices viewable through Roku, as someone might consider that "diluting" the brand. Often someone offers their same products as a private label brand, such as they are doing here. But they usually take great pains to keep the two products separated.

Unless the Wyze devices have some way to update their firmware via USB (the Roku branded devices only seem to do OTA updates) I can't see any way to put the Roku firmware on them. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Paul09

Jump to solution

Maybe Roku and Wyze can come to an agreement to add a Wyze cameras streaming channel? Thus preserving both their brand identities. Just a thought...

JStewart64
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I am currently evaluating the camera's offered by both Roku and Wyze. Wyze has newer models of camera's that have better features than the Roku camera's. So one question I have is Roku going to adopt the Wyze V3 Pro camera? If not, then I would be more inclined to purchase the newer Wyze camera's, and drop the idea of using Roku for live viewing and notifications, and implement a Firestick with the Wyze app. Just have to switch between the Roku and Firestick.

0 Kudos
notna2634

Jump to solution

how can I type my code,  to what 

0 Kudos