Account, payments & subscriptions

Get the help you need with the My Roku Account log in, Roku billing, subscription questions, and more. Join the community discussion for more assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
suritz

Is this really a legitimate customer service represenatative?

Jump to solution

I own a Roku stick and take it with when I go to Florida for the winter.  I am there for 3 months.  Two years in a row, it stops working after the 2nd month.  So I contacted the customer service phone number of 925-450-1196.  Much to my surprise, the call was answered in 15 seconds.  Then the "fun" began.  He asked me for my credit card on file to verify it was really me.  He asked me to go to my credit card account to verify a verifying charge had come through.  IT did not.  So he asked me for any trading accounts I have that he could use as verification.  I told him I had Robinhood.  He told me to log in and he gave me code numbers to use.  I used the code numbers as he directed me,   This is after he asked me to setup a transfer via debit card from my checking account to Robinhood. 

I ended up purchasing $997 in bitcoin.  He said do not worry. You can transfer back. In the meantime, the transfer via my debit card caused my checking account to have a negative balance.  I hung up on him, and sold the bitcoin for a $1 profit.   WHAT IS GOING ON WITH CUSTOMER SERVICE AT ROKU Mr. Gidon Katz?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Is this really a legitimate customer service represenatative?

Jump to solution

No, no, a thousand times NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roku does not charge for customer service. Roku does NOT have telephone support. NEVER do a web search for Roku support phone numbers. They will ALL be a scam. 

NEVER provide your credit card or bank information to anyone on the phone unless you are 100% certain they are who they say they are. And that means calling a phone number that you know is going to exactly who you believe them to be. If you are web searching for a phone number, do not trust any number you find unless it can be verified on a legitimate web site for that company. 

Here's a web site that explains all the current Roku related scams. It provides a very good explanation of many of them.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
mop_891
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@suritz 

If they asked for a credit card it is a scam. ROKU never charges for support. Call your credit card company now, dispute the charge and get them to send you a new card with a different number.

Real ROKu support info is here:

https://support.roku.com/contactus/contact-options

Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Where did you come up with that phone number?  It’s not the number that Roku gives on their contact page, and a few sources say it belongs to “James Smith”.

And given that Roku doesn’t require a credit card or any other payment method, that would seem to be a really weak way to identify a Roku user on the phone.

I would give up on "James" and try Roku! 😀  https://support.roku.com/contactus

Banned but back. Because why not?
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

No, no, a thousand times NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roku does not charge for customer service. Roku does NOT have telephone support. NEVER do a web search for Roku support phone numbers. They will ALL be a scam. 

NEVER provide your credit card or bank information to anyone on the phone unless you are 100% certain they are who they say they are. And that means calling a phone number that you know is going to exactly who you believe them to be. If you are web searching for a phone number, do not trust any number you find unless it can be verified on a legitimate web site for that company. 

Here's a web site that explains all the current Roku related scams. It provides a very good explanation of many of them.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.