Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JasonTe
Reel Rookie

Update error 004 over and over

Jump to solution

I can't get my roku to update. I keep getting to 100% and then an error code 4. If it's really a network error, why can I watch TV on the device?  I've tried with 2 networks and a Hotspot and keep getting the same error. And every time I turn it on I have to go thru the same process 2 to 3 times before I can just watch with the Roku as is. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Trouble updating roku express get error code 004

Jump to solution

@Paul78 

Error codes 001 - 005 indicate an update error.  Could be anything from a user's internet connection, to an issue with Roku's own servers. (the watch on the wrist means wait/try again later).

If you have a mobile hotspot available to you, try connecting your Roku device to that and performing the update request.  Otherwise, try restarting all your network equipment (modem, router, extenders, etc) and also reboot your Roku. (either pull the power plug for a min, or go to Settings/System/System Restart, or Settings/System/Power/System Restart depending on Roku model).

A little basic info regarding the update errors is contained in the following Roku Support article. (https://support.roku.com/en-au/article/115002796148)

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
21 REPLIES 21
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Update error 004 over and over

Jump to solution

Welcome, and thank you for posting here in the Roku Community, @JasonTe.

Thanks for raising your network issues with us. Rest assured that we will find you the best resolution possible.

May we first know if the error code 004 only appears when you are trying to update your system version? In addition, can you please let us know your current system version and on what Roku streaming device you are having this issue with? 

Furthermore, have you tried to perform a system reboot on your device? You can do it by navigating to your Home screen. Scroll up or down to select Settings > System > Power (skip if unavailable) > System restart

We look forward to your response and are more than willing to provide you with an accurate resolution. 

Kind regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JasonTe
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Model 3900RW - Roku Express. Software version 12.5.0 is currently on the device. I've also started getting different error codes. 005 and 003. 

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @JasonTe,

Thanks for updating us here in the Roku Community!

We're glad to assist you with your problem on your Roku Express that is showing error codes such as Error 003, 004, and 005. Please check out this support article on how to fix Roku streaming device update problems. You will know more about these error codes and what you should do to fix the issue.

Let us know how it goes, and we'll be glad to further assist you.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JasonTe
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Still no luck. I only get the error codes when updating. 004 is the one I get the most. Once it fails and I can get to the system, everything works. When I eun a network check, the signal istrength s always excellent, with download speeds between 15 and 40 mbps. I've done everything in the articles. Any other suggestions. Do I need to try a factory reset?  

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @JasonTe,

Thank you for keeping us posted!

It seems like you've done a ton of fantastic troubleshooting at this point. No worries! We will be more than happy to assist you further. Please try to connect your Roku device to an alternative wireless network connection, like a mobile hotspot. If there's no problem connecting through your hotspot, then it seems like there is a problem with your wireless network connection or Wi-Fi. You may need to contact your internet service provider and ask for additional assistance.

Please keep us posted on what you find out.

Kind regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
FLJAMESFL
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I'm having the same problem, any resolution yet?

0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @FLJAMESFL,

May we ask what troubleshooting steps you have taken so far to resolve this issue? Have you tried the troubleshooting steps provided by other Roku moderators above this thread?

Please let us know.

Regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
GRJR

Jump to solution

I have the same issue.  My Roku streaming device was working fine, then the update came, it will only upload update to 84% then freezes and gives a code 004 over and over again.  Download speeds are fine, all other devices are connecting to the network and doing fine. The other functions on the smart TV are all connecting to the internet through the WiFi without issues.  I cannot access any of the Roku functions without the update.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @GRJR,

Greetings from the Roku Community, and thanks for posting!
We understand you're unable to download the latest software update. We're happy to assist you. Please try to restart your modem and router, then unplug both the TV and Roku device for 3 to 5 minutes, and replug them back again.

If the problem still continues, please keep us posted.

Best regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos