Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RBS1

keeps freezing or disconnecting from internet

Jump to solution

I see several questions concerning this topic going back several years but no real response!

Why does this happen?  Very frequently looses the connection with the internet or freezes.  Extremely annoying.

Usually happens when we are watching the regular channels.  Does not happen as frequently when watching Netflix.  Our other devices don't loose connection with the internet.  Therefore, it is not the internet,

Solution?  Constant problem?  Glitch?  What is it?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: keeps freezing or disconnecting from internet

Jump to solution

Hi, @MrsPam1 @RBS1 

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the Roku Community.

We appreciate you for bringing this to our attention, and we're here to assist in addressing the issue you have encountered. For this matter, let's perform some troubleshooting steps to resolve it. Kindly follow the instructions below:

Restart your streaming device. Use the following steps to restart your streaming device from the Settings menu.

1. Press Home on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Select System.
  4. Select Power. If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.
  5. Select System restart.

Restart your modem and router. Use the following steps to restart your modem and router.

1. Unplug both your modem and router from power
  2. Wait 10 seconds and then plug them back in
  3. Wait for your modem and router to fully restart
  4. Use a phone, tablet, or computer to confirm the internet connection is working
  5. Test the connection on your Roku device

Once this has been performed, kindly check the status of your Roku TV or Roku device if it maintains a connection. Keep us updated on what you find out.

For more information, you can visit this support article on How to fix internet errors and issues on your Roku streaming device

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
MrsPam1

Jump to solution

I have same issues and my tv shuts off. Is it the Roku? The TV? The wireless connection that says is fine? 

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @MrsPam1 @RBS1 

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the Roku Community.

We appreciate you for bringing this to our attention, and we're here to assist in addressing the issue you have encountered. For this matter, let's perform some troubleshooting steps to resolve it. Kindly follow the instructions below:

Restart your streaming device. Use the following steps to restart your streaming device from the Settings menu.

1. Press Home on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Select System.
  4. Select Power. If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.
  5. Select System restart.

Restart your modem and router. Use the following steps to restart your modem and router.

1. Unplug both your modem and router from power
  2. Wait 10 seconds and then plug them back in
  3. Wait for your modem and router to fully restart
  4. Use a phone, tablet, or computer to confirm the internet connection is working
  5. Test the connection on your Roku device

Once this has been performed, kindly check the status of your Roku TV or Roku device if it maintains a connection. Keep us updated on what you find out.

For more information, you can visit this support article on How to fix internet errors and issues on your Roku streaming device

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
metzelic
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have the same problem. My Roku streaming stick is only three years old. It's been fine until recently but now in the last few months, it keeps disconnecting itself from the internet on the regular.

My internet connection is fine-- it works on all other devices (for example, I'm typing this on my computer right now, while the internet has just fritzed out on my TV for the fourth time in the last hour.)

The suggestion in this thread DOES work for resetting the connection-- sometimes simply navigating to settings and re-selecting my wireless works too-- but then a couple hours (or at best a couple of days) later, it happens again. I (and the original poster, I imagine) am more interested in how to fix this completely rather than how to troubleshoot in the moment. It's very annoying to have to do this so frequently.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @metzelic 

Thanks for posting here in the Roku community.

We understand the issue you have shared regarding your Roku device that keeps disconnecting from your network, and we appreciate your for efforts in taking the time to troubleshoot the issue. For this matter, we'd like to connect more details for us to take a closer look at the issue further. Kindly provide the details below:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version. (These can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • What channel and what version/build is the channel that is having the issue? (This can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button).
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs. (When you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).

Once these details are made available, we'll forward this to the appropriate Roku team for further review and investigation.

We hope to hear back from your response.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
DeclanNelson
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I was facing the same problem.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @DeclanNelson 

Welcome to the Roku Community.

We understand that you are having an issue with your Roku device freezing and disconnecting from the internet, and we'd be happy to assist. We'd recommend following the troubleshooting step posted above to resolve the issue. 

If the issue persists, please provide the following details so that we can investigate further. 

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version. (These can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • What specific behavior does the issue show?
  • Is this happening to a specific channel, or does it happen on all of the channels on your Roku device?

With more information referring to the issue you have experienced, we'll be able to take a closer look into the issue and assist further.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.