Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SPACEKKEITH
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku should include a gigabit Ethernet port

I love this idea! A higher-end Roku device may be a good option that competes with all the features and performance of the NVidia Shield ($199) or Apple TV 4K Wi-Fi + Ethernet ($149). I would buy it! Else I'll have to buy the Shield or Apple.

0 Kudos
SPACEKKEITH
Channel Surfer

Roku technology is 100% problem, especially when trig to stream locally. 1 gigabit ethernet is required for large 4K movies.

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

As has been posted many times before: Roku's are designed for INTERNET streaming. You don' t need much more than 16-25Mbit. The Roku Media Player is about all you can use to play local media (not sure about Plex), but RMP is out of date and seems to be abandonware.

You can add Gigabit Ethernet to a Fire TV or even cheap Walmart Onn 4K Google TV. Plus, the Google TV can add alot of stuff from the Google Play store, and sideload even more. I have a Fire TV Stick, and a UGreen Ethernet/USB Hub on it. I also have an Onn 4K Pro Google TV. Although it has 100Mbit Ethernet built-in, I did the same adapter to it, mainly for the hub. On both, I get about 350-380MBit.

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Ethernet-1000Mbps-Nintendo-Chromebook/dp/B00LLUEJFU/ 

0 Kudos
SPACEKKEITH
Channel Surfer

That's the problem with Roku, instead of being so narrow minded for just "Internet" streaming, they need to think more broadly. Proof: why are the (outdated) Shield and the Apple TV 4k doing so well at their price points? 

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Where are you getting your Nvidia shield sales numbers?  I searched around but I couldn’t find anything that pointing to high sales.  I found it hard to find anything that even mentions them.  For example, one market share chart showing Roku, Fire TV, Google Chromecast, Apple TV, and TiVo (in that order) left another 4% of “other”, which presumably Nvidia is part of.  Not that I’m saying there’s anything wrong with the device, but it doesn’t seem to have sold in high numbers, which seems to be Roku’s focus.

In my opinion, Apple has long had a certain luxury/life-style/locked-in kind of status.  I’m not sure that Roku could (or perhaps even wants to) break in to that market. For starter’s I think Roku’s customer support would need to improve a lot. 😀

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.