Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KM2424
Reel Rookie

Roku Ultra 4802R need to disable wifi

Does anyone know if you can turn off the wifi signal on the ultra 4802R?  We use Ethernet connection for internet. We have medical equipment in the house and wifi signals interfere with it.   We don't care about using voice or Bluetooth and can buy an IR remote and remove the RF remote from the house that comes in the box.   Can device connect be deactivated so it doesn't try to connect every few minutes?  We just don't want the Radio frequency signal to emit at all.  Just wish Roku would offer a model for people who cannot have wifi in the house.  Appreciate anyone's help.

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Ultra 4802R need to disable wifi

Hi, @KM2424 

Greetings, and welcome to the Roku Community.

We understand the preference of the setup on your Roku Ultra wherein you'd like to keep the Wired connection due to interference with Radio Frequencies on the Wireless connection. In this instance, let's follow the steps provided below to set your Roku Ultra connected with only the Wired network.

Reset the network connection

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select Advanced system settings
  4. Select Network connection reset
  5. Select Reset connection

Once this has been performed, you will need to set up your Roku Ultra for a Wired connection.

1. Press Home on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select Network
  4. Select Set up connection
  5. Select Wired

This will detect your Wired connection and your Roku Ultra will only be connected with the ethernet.

Additionally, you can purchase the Roku Simple Remote Control to use its Infra-Red function to lessen the interference of the Radio Frequency.

We hope you find this information useful, and feel free to let us know if you have further concerns to inquries.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@KM2424 I don't think Takashi's suggestion will actually disable the WiFi radio in your Ultra. To my knowledge there's no way to turn that radio off completely. There are hidden menus that can be found online (can't be mentioned here) that might have a radio off switch, but I haven't looked at them in quite some time, and since they aren't officially supported by Roku they can change at any time.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
6E616D65
Roku Guru

I think it's worth trying @RokuTakashi advice if once you have an IR remote working, you go back and disable device connect, as you said. The setup menu explains that it will disable the voice remote as well as screen mirroring from other wifi devices. I think you'll have to judge the results for yourself. Just my $0.02 worth.

KM2424
Reel Rookie

I guess we will have to buy the Roku, turn wifi off and then test for the RF signal with a meter.  On our tv, even though the wifi was turned off, it still kept emitting the RF signal so we had to open the back and disconnect the wifi module.  That worked perfect.   Do you know if there is a separate wifi module in the Roku ultra and can it be disconnected?  We would then just use the Ethernet port.  We are not concerned about warranty and would just like to be able to stream a few apps.    Thanks for the hidden menus suggestion, although because they can be updated at any time by Roku, we're looking for a more permanent solution. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

I've never opened up any of my Roku devices, so I'm making a guess here. To my knowledge the Roku is basically an "everything on a single board" device, and it's unlikely to have a WiFi module that can be removed/disabled. You might be able to locate the antennas used by the WiFi radio (I'm pretty certain there are two of them) and disconnect them, which should reduce any RF emissions to virtually nothing. 

Dan

0 Kudos
KM2424
Reel Rookie

Hi Dan,

Found a picture and there are two wire antennas and metal PCB antenna.  It looks like the two gray wires can be disconnected where they meet the gold prongs (not sure what they are called).  I found this info here https://www.microcontrollertips.com/teardown-the-new-roku-ultra/       you seem technical,  do you know where the PCB antenna is?   and if we dicsonnected just the two gray wires, do you think the Roku would still work?     

0 Kudos
atc98092

I can't say for certain if those two grey wires are the connections to the WiFi antennas. I hurt my eye this morning and can't wear my contacts, and my glasses are terrible looking at a computer monitor. 🙂 But they do appear to be the most likely candidates for it. The Roku should still work with them disconnected, as long as you have an IR remote available. Of course, with Ethernet connected you could use the Roku app on a phone or tablet to control it as well. 

Dan

0 Kudos
renojim

Those two wires are definitely the antenna connections and disconnecting them shouldn't affect anything except you'll need an IR remote.  The remote that came with the Ultra is a hybrid IR/RF remote and may work in IR mode when it loses its RF connection.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
KM2424
Reel Rookie

I want to thank everyone for their responses.  They have encouraged us and helped us a lot.  A special thank you to Dan and renojim.   

0 Kudos