Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cstrombe
Reel Rookie

Can I connect to hotel wifi with new never-activated Roku while I'm traveling?

Jump to solution

Had a Roku long ago, but tempted to buy a new one after finding this page. I am actually traveling now, and am considering buying a Roku during this trip if I can use it in my hotel (Hilton with captive portal wifi login), but this bit on the Roku page seems to indicate it won't work unless activate at home first. 

• Your activated Roku device, power adapter and remote. If your Roku device has been disconnected for an extended period of time, connect it to your home network before traveling and have it manually check for a software update.

I don't imagine a new Roku would know where my home is, but this makes it sound like what I want to do may not work, so hoping for some clarification. Will I be able to activate and use this hotel connect feature of a brand new Roku while on the road? 

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can I connect to hotel wifi with new never-activated Roku while I'm traveling?

Jump to solution

@cstrombe- As the section you quoted said, your Roku must already have been set up and successfully connected to a network before you can use its hotel/dorm connecting capability.  Typically this means setting it up at home before taking it on the road.

But failing that...

If you have a cell phone that can run a wifi Hotspot you can temporarily connect your Roku to that in order to run the initial setup of the Roku.

After that, this document will guide you through setting up a hotel/dorm connection: https://support.roku.com/article/215058118

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
atc98092

Re: Can I connect to hotel wifi with new never-activated Roku while I'm traveling?

Jump to solution

I doubt it. Unless the hotel WiFi doesn't require using an activation web page, I don't see any way to complete the setup of a new Roku player. You could use a phone hotspot to complete the initial setup, and then connect to the hotel network once it's complete. 

I was in a Marriott hotel once that allowed connecting without the login page, but I have a  hunch it was because I was on an extremely high floor and most likely the signal could not be accessed outside their building. I've never encountered a Hilton property that let me connect without using the login page. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@cstrombe- As the section you quoted said, your Roku must already have been set up and successfully connected to a network before you can use its hotel/dorm connecting capability.  Typically this means setting it up at home before taking it on the road.

But failing that...

If you have a cell phone that can run a wifi Hotspot you can temporarily connect your Roku to that in order to run the initial setup of the Roku.

After that, this document will guide you through setting up a hotel/dorm connection: https://support.roku.com/article/215058118

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
cstrombe
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Ah ok that makes sense, and sounds doable (set up hotspot on phone). Thanks! Follow-up question--which devices offer the "hotel connectivity" option? I'm looking at a local Target and they sell "Roku Express HD" and "Roku Express 4K+" and "Roku Streaming Stick 4K". 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@cstrombe wrote:

Ah ok that makes sense, and sounds doable (set up hotspot on phone). Thanks! Follow-up question--which devices offer the "hotel connectivity" option? I'm looking at a local Target and they sell "Roku Express HD" and "Roku Express 4K+" and "Roku Streaming Stick 4K". 

All Roku players support it. But stay away from the basic Express. For the small additional cost the Express 4K+ is a significantly better player. Better processor, more memory, dual band WiFi and Voice Remote. And it overall just works better. 

Dan

AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

Actually, the new Roku Express HD 3960 uses the same basic processor as the Roku Express 4k/4k+ and the Ultra devices. (ARM Cortex A55).  Also dual-band capable (2.4 and 5ghz) and supports ethernet via an adapter.

https://developer.roku.com/docs/specs/hardware.md

It is light on the RAM (512mb) though.  Seems like Roku only likes to provide 1gb RAM to their devices that are capable of streaming 4k content.

I think the Express 4k+ is the better deal though due to the higher RAM (noticeably snappier), additional resolution support, and a better remote/voice remote. 

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

atc98092

Jump to solution

Thanks @AvsGunnar . The Wiki site hasn't been updated, so I wasn't aware they (finally) updated the Express. That's great that it's now dual band, as that was a serious issue for some users. 

Dan

cstrombe
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Update--went with the streaming stick 4k, got it set up on my mobile hotspot, then connected to the hotel wifi, no issues! This is a great feature. Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.