Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku keeps disconnecting from wifi

Hi @Mikekomm,

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community!

We want to investigate this issue further. Can you please provide the following information below?

• What error message or code are you getting after trying to connect to your network? (after entering the network credentials)
  • Did we recently make any changes to your network or network provider?
  • Do you have cellular data, so we can try connecting your device to your hotspot?

With detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Chasesmc
Reel Rookie

I've tried all of the trouble shooting suggestions but my roku still disconnects regularly,  especially when I'm on certain streaming networks 

0 Kudos
Sweedio
Channel Surfer

I have new router and high speed fiber internet service. Both my Roku devices (Express 4K+) randomly start buffering, freezes, blanks out picture or loses internet connectivity completely. When I perform the suggested connection test, it always passes with excellent or good connection and starts working again. I usually have any other devices active other than the Roku and maybe an iPad or iPhone at the same time. Ooops, the picture just went blank again as I’m writing this. Very difficult to clearly isolate the issue area given the reboot this or that suggestions. I suspect from everything I’m seeing on line looking for a solution that similar problems have continued to be experienced my many users of Roku products for quite a while. Picture just came back and blanked out again after a second or two. I will be looking for an alternative streaming device real soon I expect. Time to reboot stuff again…

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Sweedio, how are you powering them?  If you're using the TV's USB port, try using the supplied power adapter plugged into the wall.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Chasesmc
Reel Rookie

It seems to disconnect more often on different streaming sites.  I rarely disconnects on hulu but regularly on discovery+

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Chasesmc,

A warm welcome to the Roku Community!

Thanks for sharing your concerns about your Roku device that keeps disconnecting from the WiFi. We also appreciate the troubleshooting steps you've taken to resolve the issue. We'd like to take action on this, but we need more details to see if there are any options that we can look further into.
Refer to these questions to better identify the issue you're experiencing.

• How many devices do you have connected to your network right now? (e.g., TV, mobile phone, laptops, computer)
  • Are you receiving error messages or codes when accessing the channel?
  • Have you tried removing the channel you observed this issue on from the Roku home screen? Then, restart your device. Once it loads up again, add the channel back once more and try playing content again.
  • Have you tried to connect the Roku device to an alternative wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you are still experiencing the same issue?

We look forward to hearing from you and looking closely into this issue. Thank you!

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Sweedio
Channel Surfer

I switched one TV from TV usb power to the Roku power cube. As expected it didn’t fix anything. 5v dc is 5v dc. From the looks of all the various threads all over the web on this topic, there has been an ongoing problem with Roku devices. The problem seems to be more frequent on live TV streams. Some channels just lock up, which rebooting the Roku 4K+ corrects. Some just seem to get stuck buffering and eventually complain about no internet connection, which I can workaround by killing and restarting the app, which is very annoying while trying to watch a live basketball game. I need do find a more reliable way to stream live TV if Roku can’t fix the software or provide some more definitive diagnostic methods than the standard reboot, power cube, move Roku closer or further from WiFi router.

0 Kudos
renojim

@Sweedio wrote:

5v dc is 5v dc.

You couldn't be more wrong.  5VDC may be 5VDC, but 500mA isn't 1A.

0 Kudos
Sweedio
Channel Surfer

My statement may have been less than complete, but I am not wrong.  Since Roku installation instructions indicate that TV USB is a power supply option for the Express 4K+ if no red light when connected. I assumed that their engineering team did some research on standard USB output supply capabilities with respect to the device requirements or they shouldn't indicate TV USB as a viable option. In any case I followed the suggestion rather than research the specified usb output amperage capacity for my specific TVs or the Roku device input requirement, which I don't see on the device or in the instructions. My Roku devices have the same performance issues regardless of whether they are connected to TV's USB or the Roku-supplied power cube. So are you trying to tell me that the Roku cube may also not capable of supplying enough amperage either? Should a try a non-Roku 5Vdc 2 Amp powercube?

0 Kudos
renojim

@Sweedio, I've always thought that the cheap USB power adapters were Roku device's Achilles heel.  It's compounded by the fact that many people think they're all the same and plugging a Roku device into any old USB port should work.  I just looked at the Express 4k+ Quick Start Guide and it makes no mention of power requirements other than to say that if you see a red light, you should switch to the supplied power adapter.  The product description does state, "Power input:  5V 1A".  I doubt many people have any idea what the specifications as far as output current is on their TVs' USB ports  A USB port is a USB port, right?

At least the Express 4k+ comes with what should be an adequate power adapter.  The regular Express doesn't and its QSG doesn't even state what's required.

In my own experience, I probably have a dozen or more USB power adapter/chargers and I can say that some are just "better" than others and I'd never trust the specifications written on the adapter.  I've seen too many no-name adapters that can't meet their specifications.

So... every time I see strange problems with the Roku devices that rely on a cheap power adapter, I immediately suspect it.  Will changing it help?  Who knows, but assuming it's not the problem is a mistake.

If you have multiple Roku devices that show network issues, then it's not as likely to be a power supply problem, but it still doesn't hurt to try a different one.  My experience is probably like a lot of others - Roku devices just seem to have more connection issues than any other devices I've ever owned which is why I generally use wired connections whenever possible.

P.S. - Let's not give the Roku "engineering team" too much credit.  😉

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.