Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku keeps disconnecting from wifi

Hello! @Jlovitts,

A warm welcome from the Roku Community!

We understand that you're having an issue connecting to your wireless network. We're pleased to assist.

• What device are you using right now?
  • Have you tried changing your wireless network channel?
  • Do you have cellular data so we can try connecting your device to your hotspot?

In the meantime, please try to reboot your wireless network, select the 2.4 GHz band of your network for all your Roku devices, and see if the connection stabilizes to know if it fixes the issue.

Thanks,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
seanchai
Reel Rookie

I use the Roku Ultra around 2 years old. Connected to an outlet. I had to reboot my Roku 4 times tonight to finish a 1 hour show on Prime. It's ridiculous. I get the spinning wheel and then the message I have lost connection and have to reboot. I have to fast forward several minutes of my show each time as it doesn't remember where it left off.

I also have an older Roku placed in the bedroom (bought 2015) and it actually freezes. All of this has been relatively recent.

No Hotspot. Only device that has any issues is the Roku. I switched it over to the 2.4 so we will see if that helps. I'll post again if it does.

There is no congestion on my network. Just the wife and I and we only use one device at a time. Everything has been rebooted multiple times. I just bought a new Roku Ultra and if it does the same thing I am sending it back.

0 Kudos
seanchai
Reel Rookie

Follow-up:

It is more stable at the 2.4. It's only been one night, but so far no disconnects.

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

@seanchai,

We appreciate you for the updates,

It's great to hear that your connection is now stable. Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
seanchai
Reel Rookie

It's been a few nights now, and it has happened once a night at the 2.4m. Much better than when I was using the 5m when it was every 10-15 minutes at times. So much improved, but not entirely resolved.

0 Kudos
MrXxx
Roku Guru

Never mind. This forum software is horrible.

onn Roku 43" TV model 100012584 running version 12.0.0
Twenty plus years of online experience as a web developer, general user and consumer. Recording engineer. Sixty plus years of troubleshooting and problem solving in several fields. Here to help and get help when I have issues with Roku. Nothing more. Not here to socialize. That's what real life is for. 😉
seanchai
Reel Rookie

I got a brand new Roku Ultra thinking it might be something wrong with my other unit. Same problem. Random drops from the internet. I have it on the 2.4 mg. Tired of forking out time and money to continue with the same issue.

0 Kudos
Lerryjee
Reel Rookie

Do not buy a Roku. Their forums are littered with people with the same issue. I replaced my older express with a 4k device. It had worked just fine for years. This new one disconnects every day from wifi. And in fact I have to sign back in with my credentials. So rodiculous.

Their support keeps moaning about 2.4 wifi versus 5.0 but that has nothing to do with this. They have a significant software glitch. My wifi is exactly the same between the old Roku and new. The older Roku used the 5.0 wifi connection with no issues.

Furthermore my router offers dual band, but this Roku is too stupid to connect to the 2.4. If 2.4 is so vital to work properly, why can't it just go to that bandwidth?

Do not buy until they solve this issue. And sell their stock, because based on their responses and lack of action on this matter, they are clearly a company that is way past it's peak.

RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hello, @Lerryjee 

Welcome to the community for Roku!

We are grateful that you have informed us about the problem you are experiencing with your Roku device.

We would like additional information regarding the problem you are having. If my comprehension is correct, are you observing this behavior on a particular channel or does it occur on the platform across all channels? How can the problem be replicated?

Please provide additional details so that we can investigate this further.

Regards,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Mikekomm

I have one Roku plugged into the TV and it works perfectly. I have four other Roku sticks when plugged into the same TV always show not connected. Cannot figure out the problem

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.